• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My K-301 A

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsarow

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Dean W.Sarow
I have a K-301 A,spec no.47138B,the tractor a 125 with serial 271,612 which makes it mfg. in Nov.1968.My friend is going thru the engine.I asked him to check the balance gears.I've heard good and bad about them.He stated no gears,in fact the block wasn't even threaded for installation. When did these gears 1st start being installed?Or has my engine or i.d. plate been switched?Appreciate the help guys.

Is the oil fill/dip stick up on the top of the block or down by the points? I believe the early engines with the oil fill up on the block on the starter/generator side did not have the balance gears.

Thanks Kraig,the tube is up on the right side,sitting in the seat.Could you tell me how many 125's produced?How many K-301's?And what does the 'A'mean?I really appreciate all you do for us Cub guys

That is not the case. I pulled apart a k301 back in the spring and it had balance gears. Balance gears could be found in any K series from the k241 up to the k341, but it was dependent on the spec and application. From what I understand Cub Cadet never used any k241 with balance gears. However, I believe that with production of the 1X6 1X7 series the k301 engines did have balance gears, as well as the k321 and k341. A 125 is old enough to not use balance gears.

I do not know specific spec numbers, but 47138B is probably a Cub Cadet spec engine. According to the service manual the "47" refers to a k301.

Application is referring to what sort of equipment the engine is mounted to. This will affect the specifics of the engine found in the model number, such as S, AQS, A, G, P, R, etc.

That spec number is for a Cub. The “A” is for special oil pan. I have a 301 replacement engine from 1974. It had balance gears. I have one from a 122 and a 125 and neither had gears. The first time balance gears show up in the parts lookup is with the 1X8 1x9 series.

Last edited:
someone tell my 301 it wasnt to have gears then.. hahhaha it had them ... they got removed on rebuild ... so not sure why my 301s have them ..
From what I have found on here is the narrow frame K301 never came with balance gears stock from the factory.. If you have balance gears in your engine it may be because it was replaced at one time with a newer Kohler replacement engine..

I have seen numerous people talk about pulling apart a 301 from a 126 or 127 and finding balance gears in it. But hey, who knows I guess...

From what I have found on here is the narrow frame K301 never came with balance gears stock from the factory.. If you have balance gears in your engine it may be because it was replaced at one time with a newer Kohler replacement engine..
all orig. bought from orig owner. never replaced.

301s had them... come out of a 127.

think one of the higher ups need to chime in and set us all str8.. info is all over the place. just saying..

My 126 had them. The spec on the shroud was for the original engine, and the engine was all yellow, but I did not know the history on it.

Back