• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My first yellow GT, rough 147

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I replaced the float and float pin. Cleaned and flushed everything out and it still pours gas out the overflow. I removed the bowl and turned the gas on, I can easily start and stop gas flow by gently raising the float. All new parts are OEM. The only part I can’t remove is the brass piece that threads in from the bottom. PO stripped the slot and can’t remove it without an easy out, I don’t know the technical term and can’t find a replacement. Could that piece cause it to overflow??
B868E7D9-8132-4F52-BC6B-00D315EC00A2.jpeg

No, it's the float that controls the needle and seat - that opens / closes the gas flow. is the needle rubber tipped or solid metal? Can you see if the seat has any visible damage?

Sure could.. does it move really easy? Also shake it next to your ear, do you hear liquid inside? If you do hear something inside then it has a leak and will need replacing. I've known folks to dry out a leaky float and resolder the joints and leak if you can find it.

If the previous owner stripped out the slot in the seat there could be a slight burr in the hole. If you take a drill bit just slightly bigger than the hole, and I do mean slightly, and with your finger tips and light pressure twist the drill bit back and forth you should be able to take off the burr cleaning up the seat. Per David, by adjusting the float tab per manual spec's, it will, by design, put more up pressure on the needle to seat correctly in the brass seat.

Is the float. Floating? Sounds like the needle valve isn't getting pushed up by the float. Is there any liquid in the float when you shake it?
A stripped Emulsion Tube an easy out will ruin the Jet hole size. That's not you flooding issue

Sorry, I just read that the float is new. With the carburetor held upside down and all the components assembled, the float should test about horizontal. Parallel to the base of the carb.
Boy it sure seems like you have it all covered. You can lift gloat and cut off flow, that's working
Confusing, for sure

Last edited:
Can you show us a picture of the assembled float / needle in the carb but upside down?
You said you can gently raise & lower the float and start/stop the flow of fuel. If that is correct, there is no reason the float shouldn't do that on it's own. A couple pics (different views) showing us the float, with the unit upside down, may give us a answer. And there is no "overflow port".. it's flooding.

Think about it....
Gravity feed here....
If the needle seat does not seat, the fuel will leak past it and seek it's own level up through the the high speed needle ass'y just as if it were running only it has no where to go but back out through the carb intake until the tank is empty.

There is no part, it is a machine process on the carb itself. When you take it apart again, you will see a 1/4" hole under the flat area, that is the vent, it goes out under the intake
side of the carb

ebay pics 177.jpg

Brad - I didn't see anyone else mention this so I wondered if you installed the new gasket on the seat screw before you screwed it into the carb.. It's the little round black gasket that comes in the carb kit (stole this pic from Charlie).
carbkit.jpg

Back