• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My dad's 122

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
I didn't want to clutter up the main forum, so I will post some progression pics here.
After sandblasting the parts I used Rustoleum automotive light gray primer in a spray can. It goes on good, and I don't have to drag out all the paint equipment.
I use coat hanger wire and make hooks to hang up the parts. Heavier stuff gets heavy hooks and/or chain. The 4x4 lumber A-frame in my paint booth is where I hang the heavy stuff.

298057.jpg

298058.jpg

Then, the painting started. You can sand out what primer runs you have, and sand the parts for good adhesion when you paint.
I used disposable (medical type) gloves to keep from getting the oil in my skin on the parts. Also use a tack cloth to remove any sanding dust.

298059.jpg

Use some unrestored rear wheels to move the frame around until you complete the yellow painting process. You don't want to get yellow on those nice white wheels.
After assembling as many parts as possible, I rolled the frame out to the paint booth for one final coat. Just jack up the frame, take off the wheels and go to spraying.
One note: the dash decal needs to be put on first, then the grommet, and then put the dash on the frame. Also, tape up the decal and grommet for that final coat of yellow.

298060.jpg

For the finish coat on the motor, I took off the head and taped up all the stuff that didn't need paint. The head dissipates the heat, so It doesn't need any paint. The fins do too, so go lightly on them.

298061.jpg

After the final yellow coat, put the wheels on and move back inside.

298062.jpg

Then assemble the engine and install.

298063.jpg

More stuff to follow.

Great Post, Marty. I'm drooling over your dad's 122. Would you like to adopt another 122, at least until after you get it painted?

Seriously, the hard work and justified pride in same come shining through.
thumbsup.gif

Continuing on,

After installing the engine, the front grille went on.

298092.jpg

All that was left then was the wiring, hood, battery, and a few touchups.

Finally finished!

298093.jpg

298094.jpg

298095.jpg

Out for the first test run.

298096.jpg

Preparing to load it up for the trip to dad's house.

298097.jpg

298098.jpg

Well, he got to enjoy it for a little over three years.

Last Wednesday, my dad went home to be with the Lord.

I miss dad so much, my heart is broke. He was my hero and best friend.

323531.jpg

323532.jpg

Marty - I'm so very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. I'm certain he really enjoyed the 122, which is one of the toughest Cub Cadets IH ever built and you re-built with so much pride. Enjoy your memories and pics.

Marty-

I'm very sorry to hear of your father's passing. I know the two of you were close.

So sorry Marty. Such great memories with your dad and that beautifully refurbished 122, though...treasure them!

I am sure you were able to aid considerably to his enjoyment of his final years with the presentation of that beautifully restored Cub.
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Marty - I'm sorry to learn of your loss. I lost my dad when he was 82 and I was 46. That was a long time ago, but talk to him almost every day, especially when I'm working in my shop. Your dad will be with you.

Thanks for sharing the entire thread with the rest of the forum "family", we all are here to support each other when we need something. I think the picture of him riding away on the 122 is very special.

Gerry

Marty G. I will be keeping your Dad you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. He will always be close by and you will feel his presence a lot.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and prayers.

More bad news.
My grandmother (dad's mom) passed away this morning. She was 100 years old, and dad's death was just too much for her.

I will miss her greatly. She helped raise me as a child.
We spent the weekend with her in the hospital in Tennessee, trying to comfort her during her last hours.

One good thought though, grandma and dad are together again.

Back