• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 782

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smith & Wesson 1881 topbrake first double action !!!! 32 S&W short 1.3 grs unique very slow and low power takes two and a half seconds to hit a twenty foot target !!!!

I have a sister to that one, a 1st Model Lemon Squeezer from sometime around 1888-1902.

1st Model Lemon Squeezer.jpg

As winter progresses, I'll be switching to the qa42a thrower. I found the belt that came with it, and I remember that it was so tight, that I just figured that it wasn't made to fit the 782. Any advice on getting the belt on? Also, the local cub dealer told me they can't get replacement belts. Where can I find one?
On the side of the thrower is an adjustment to move the thrower's pulley up/down to release or provide more tension on the belt.
And yes, I tried plowing one time with my 100. Wasn't happy because we had to go to work in the morning and by the time I got to plow in the evening, the blade simply doesn't have the weight and rode on top of the packed snow where we had driven. Eventually I plan on adding weight but the snowthrower works well, getting the snow thrown away from the driveway instead of piled up along with sides. If it continues to snow, eventually you run out of room...

On the side of the thrower is an adjustment to move the thrower's pulley up/down to release or provide more tension on the belt.
And yes, I tried plowing one time with my 100. Wasn't happy because we had to go to work in the morning and by the time I got to plow in the evening, the blade simply doesn't have the weight and rode on top of the packed snow where we had driven. Eventually I plan on adding weight but the snowthrower works well, getting the snow thrown away from the driveway instead of piled up along with sides. If it continues to snow, eventually you run out of room...
I have the same issue with the blade - it rides up when the snow gets too deep. I'm trying to figure out a good pulley/belt match for my qa42a, and I'm looking for advise.

I've been running napa 1/2" x 36" belts, because the belt that came with the snow thrower, 3/8"x31" was so tight that I couldn't get it on, (perhaps I wasn't able to adjust the tension loose enough at the time). Additionally, a 3/8" belt will bottom out on my PTO pulley. Currently, I am running at or near the limit of the widest belt adjustment on the aforementioned adjustment on the snow thrower. I would like to buy a pulley and belt for the qa42a that will match the PTO pulley on my tractor, for which is 5/8". I've read the disclaimers about the smaller pulley speed-up kit and I don't wish to rebuild my snow thrower at this time. The stock pulley is approximately 4" and I noticed there is a replacement 4" 'stock' pulley, but there are no other specs available on the cc specialties site. Does anyone know if this pulley is for a. 3/8" belt or a 1/2" belt?
qa42a_stock_pulley.png

If this pulley is for a 3/8" belt, is there a 4" pulley for a 1/2" belt? If not, is the 3.5" pulley the next best thing? Perhaps someone can advise before I move to a smaller pulley?
I found this belt on the cc specialties website.
halfby31_belt_qa42a.png

Is this a good match? Is there a larger one (perhaps 32")? I know it will be a bear to get a 31" belt on the setup I have now. Perhaps a wider pulley will allow the belt to seat better, but wow these things are tight! (Any advice would be appreciated)

kmcconaughey stated the following earlier:
kmcconaughey: "One of my points being that your 782 has a PTO for a 5/8" belt and the QA42A has a pulley for a 3/8" belt which might be the cause of your drive belt issues. Here's the belt that might be correct for it:

Belt.JPG

"
@kmcconaughey Is the above OEM belt a 3/8" belt? I'm looking to move to a 1/2" belt to match my PTO. Thanks for all your help.

The 4" pulley "should be" a direct replacement. On my 1450 it was running a 3/8" V-belt. It will accommodate a 1/2" belt but for stock setup the belt will need to be longer.
Since I installed the 3" pulley, I replaced my 3/8" belt with a 1/2" x 30" aramid belt and have the adjustment about as far as it will go for tightness...(could actually use a 1/2" x 29").
There is quite a bit of adjustment on the snowthrower...I'd imagine you should be able to get it setup to run without having issues getting the belt on or off the machine.

Here's the adjustment. Clockwise would loosen...
20220127_063137.jpg

Last edited:
The 4" pulley "should be" a direct replacement. On my 1450 it was running a 3/8" V-belt. It will accommodate a 1/2" belt but for stock setup the belt will need to be longer.
Since I installed the 3" pulley, I replaced my 3/8" belt with a 1/2" x 30" aramid belt and have the adjustment about as far as it will go for tightness...(could actually use a 1/2" x 29").
There is quite a bit of adjustment on the snowthrower...I'd imagine you should be able to get it setup to run without having issues getting the belt on or off the machine.

Here's the adjustment. Clockwise would loosen...
View attachment 147663
Cool - thanks for the diagram and the info - yes that is exactly the adjustment I've been using. I wonder if the KT-17 PTO sits higher than the PTO on the 1450. . . So if I bought the 4" replacement pulley, I should be able to get a 1/2" belt on it, but it still sounds as if I need a longer belt.

@PACub100 Thanks again for the diagram. My snow thrower is still off the tractor, so I just checked mine out to see if the adjuster was working properly. All this time I assumed it was, and maybe it had been at one point, but now I can see it is missing a nut! Because of that, the bolt at the bottom is floating and it stays all the way down in the extended position.
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 8.44.22 AM.png

Here's a closer look:
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 8.50.23 AM.png

I also took another look at the belt that came with the snow thrower (3/8"x31"). I measured the depth in the PTO pulley to see if it was really bottoming out and it turns out that (I believe) it rests about an 1/8" above the bottom of the PTO pulley. So with this new info, I'm going to put a nut on the bottom of that adjuster bolt, and try the original belt again. For some amount of time, gravity has been keeping this belt on - its a heavy piece, so its understandable. That missing nut allows the adjuster to lift the assembly. Without it, the adjuster is free to move up and down, and when the belt is not on it, it's fully extended. I need to give it another try with the original belt. I'll chime back in when I get a chance.

@PACub100 Thanks again for the diagram. My snow thrower is still off the tractor, so I just checked mine out to see if the adjuster was working properly. All this time I assumed it was, and maybe it had been at one point, but now I can see it is missing a nut! Because of that, the bolt at the bottom is floating and it stays all the way down in the extended position.
View attachment 147664

Here's a closer look:
View attachment 147665

I also took another look at the belt that came with the snow thrower (3/8"x31"). I measured the depth in the PTO pulley to see if it was really bottoming out and it turns out that (I believe) it rests about an 1/8" above the bottom of the PTO pulley. So with this new info, I'm going to put a nut on the bottom of that adjuster bolt, and try the original belt again. For some amount of time, gravity has been keeping this belt on - its a heavy piece, so its understandable. That missing nut allows the adjuster to lift the assembly. Without it, the adjuster is free to move up and down, and when the belt is not on it, it's fully extended. I need to give it another try with the original belt. I'll chime back in when I get a chance.
Yeah, definitely should make a world of difference. Back that adjustment out, reattach the bolt to the bottom (which it looks like you're going to have to move that top nut up some - doesn't look like there's much threaded area left on the bolt to get through the housing and securely hold a nut) and I'd spray some penetrating oil in there to lube things up and go from there.

The pictures are from the manual here 👍😎👍
http://ccmanuals.info/manuals.htmlhttp://www.ccmanuals.info/throwers.html

That is cool! I am assuming that a house fire is not get warm enough to weaken the metal?
That depends on how bad the fire was.
The housing and some of the framework "should be" just plain hot or cold rolled mild steel. Shafts, bearings and the auger are a different story and most likely were weakened if exposed to temps over 300 degrees minimum for longer than 30-40 minutes...

Yeah, definitely should make a world of difference. Back that adjustment out, reattach the bolt to the bottom (which it looks like you're going to have to move that top nut up some - doesn't look like there's much threaded area left on the bolt to get through the housing and securely hold a nut) and I'd spray some penetrating oil in there to lube things up and go from there.

The pictures are from the manual here 👍😎👍
http://ccmanuals.info/manuals.htmlhttp://www.ccmanuals.info/throwers.html
I'm back to my original question "What belt should I be using?" I fixed the missing nut so the adjuster works properly, , adjusted it to the highest position for the smallest belt, lubed it up, and attached the qa42a to my 782 and tried the 3/8"x31" stock V-belt that came with the snow thrower. Here's where the belt reaches the qa42a "drive sheave" as it is referred to in the manual.
Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 9.36.20 AM.png

So I went out and got a tractor supply 1/2x34" belt this morning which fits pretty good. So this begs the question, is the Kohler KT-17 driveshaft higher than engine on the 1450 and others? I'm betting on yes. which brings me to my original thought about belts. McMaster Carr makes a 34" V-belt for high-power transfer applications. I'm thinking of going that route along with a change out of the stock pulley for the stock replacement pulley that will accept a 1/2" belt. Any thoughts?

Could be higher, could be a larger PTO on your machine (I'm betting on that option though)...as far as pulley, my 1/2" belt sits nicely in the pulley - I don't see a reason to swap out for a different pulley if that one seats a 1/2 belt and works fine.

Could be higher, could be a larger PTO on your machine (I'm betting on that option though)...as far as pulley, my 1/2" belt sits nicely in the pulley - I don't see a reason to swap out for a different pulley if that one seats a 1/2 belt and works fine.
Chances are that the PTO is not stock. The pulley on the thrower is 3/8, and that's at the crux of the problem. As for the engine mounts, I believe it's factory. Nothing looks home made, and it sits flat on the frame.

Sorry for the late response. The IH-78056-C1 belt that is for the 82 series with a QA42B is 5/8 x 36-1/4".

I'm due to pick up a belt for the qa42a snow thrower soon, thanks to kmcconaughey, I have a part number. When I do, I'll update this post . . . but in the meantime I can give an update. This summer I was working on adapting my craftsman bucket to my 782. The issue was I bent the old fabricated frame for the bucket - it was a hambone job anyway.
View attachment 146225View attachment 146226
I hadn't yet made a mount for my 42 inch plow (off a suburban I believe). So I decided to make a frame that would handle both. A word about the craftsman bucket. . . the bucket has an inherent design flaw with the latch. The old latch position is on that top cross bar between the bucket and the tractor. The old rusted weld still shows where it was cut off. The issue is that it would only latch when it was in a certain position, which made no sense at all. After moving the latch from the top and attaching it to an arm welded to the bottom brace, it fixed the issue and it's a pretty good bucket. The reason the old bucket frame failed was I used 1/4" material (it may have even been 3/16) where I should have used 3/8". Additionally, this frame attached to the front only where I have seen frames for pushing implements connect underneath to the middle of the tractor. My new frame is modeled after this design. Here's the plow which will attach to the same frame:
View attachment 146227

To start, I tac welded 3/8 material and bent them symmetrically on a 20 ton press.
View attachment 146228
This picture shows how the frame shape after a bit of welding
View attachment 146229

I didn't make the wings at the back long enough to catch the back mount. The frame weighs around 20lbs so it was too much of a pain to mount with short wings, so I lengthened the top wings . . .
View attachment 146230

Now it is simple to install - the wings catch the back bar and the spring loaded latch catches the front bar on the frame. I needed to ream the rear holes so it would catch all the way in with no play. Now on with the bucket. The bucket or plow mounts with a beefy solid dowel through some steel pipe cut to 1" sections and welded to the frame. I had to pay close attention to the steel pulling too much. This is how the bucket lines up, the second picture shows a good side view of the latch modification. Since I cut away the old frame supporting the dump lever, it was left hanging (literally). I fabricated a smaller frame which attaches nicely to the front of the tractor. I imagine this might be different in the future - either an acme screw or hydro - difficult to find the duel action valves though
View attachment 146231View attachment 146232
And finally the lift rod attaches to the right lift arm on the tractor. In the near future, I will make this rod more adjustable so it also fits the plow. But this is the way it looks at the moment
View attachment 146233

I'm happy with the way it came out except for the slight racking on the craftsman frame because the lift rod mounts to the right side of the frame. I plan to revisit and fix that issue, but for now it's finished, and it works great! Here's an updated picture. I will update with a plow picture when the plow is complete
View attachment 146234
Where can I find that bucket

Back