• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 149 runs away into the woods!!!!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Experience with Farmall Super going down steep hay field with 10 times the weight behind you. “ If your smart you take your foot OFF the brake. Or near death experience comes quickly

Or when you turn up a steep grade on a hay field. And yout Super M-TA Digs it self a hole cause the wagon is full. Been there done that. Many a farmer died on the Super M-TA . Thank God not me

Sorry from my side,... the "Dont" should have also been deleted along with other words deleted.
Its the picture(s) that speak a thousand words and leaving out a title allows all sorts of imaginations to run away with the facts for a brief moment of hilarity with our yellow fever creations.

Yes, I know someone here had this problem. The F/W lever controls speed on the left of the steering column by adjusting the hydrostatic transmission through a linkage that runs under the cover in front of the seat. My 149 will randomly accelerate without any touch to the control. On Sunday, I mowed my lawn for the first time this year, and I adequately compensated for the random acceleration by either pulling the lever back and gingerly starting forward again or stomping on the brake (which actually just locks the Hydrostatic into Nuetral). However, the 149 picked a turn as I was finishing the lawn to accelerate and threw me off the tractor before my 65 year old reflexes kicked in. My wife is still making fun of me for this! The 149 headed off into the woods and landed on its nose after diving off a 10 foot embankment on the edge of the lawn. I hauled it back up with my Jeep and it restarted right up. I drove it to the front and parked it. I would really like to fix this. Now I've heard that what keeps the speed constant is some kind of bushing that by friction prevents the lever from moving. Where is this bushing? It would make sense that it is in the steering column assembly, but someone suggested to me that the bushing is in the linkages under the cover in front of the seat, that I should look there. I can make a new bushing and put it in, but I'm famous for taking off too many parts unneccesarily. Hopefully, someone here can let me know the best way to access the bushing and replace it.

It's an original 1974 IH Cub Cadet 149 with a Kohler engine.

Here's a picture of it sitting on its nose in the woods below my yard. Remember any modern lawn tractor made of plastic would have been pretty heavily damaged. The 149 is completely unscathed (except for the rusty old hinge on the hood and one headlight). So proud of my 149.View attachment 143401
I have a 149 that did the same thing. I repaired it myself with some parts from one of the vendors on here. You will find the trunnion under the seat after taking off the rear fenders. It is not a hard job, and the tractor runs like new. There is a video of this work on here, not sure where but you are looking for a repair of the trunnion. Good luck.

Hey thanks guys! I really haven't noticed the lever moving, mind you, it's pretty exciting when it accelerates. I think my 149 wants to be a racer! I will take a look at the manual sections (thank you kmcconaughey) and the FAQ. Didn't know about that so thank you, mfrade! Sounds like I need to at least check the Trunion first, if I can figure out what it is.
Check my post on my 169 doing the same thing. It scared me first time i sat on it to try the tractor out. Mine is worn trunion plate where the trunion pin goes into the plate with the slot. The the bearing for the slotted plate. Take off the yellow cover. You see everything great. Check for slop in the plates. I would love to see a pic of your plate assy to compare it to mine

Back