• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 125 work horse

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15667

I have been a member for a long time but have never posted anything and have just been reading other posts. Now I have a question that maybe someone out there can give me their thoughts. I have a 125 at my cabin in WI and use it for cutting grass, blowing snow, pulling a trailer as well as other things that come up. I have a blower that does not look the best but dose the trick if you keep the belt tight. I replaced the engine some time ago and it runs well but does not start will at all. Even with a new battery I often have to put the battery charger on it set to boost and it starts and runs good and will start from the battery if you don't wait too long. I am not sure what I can check to try to find the problem. I am thinking about replacing all the wiring from the battery, coil, starter generator, regulator, key, and anything else I can find. Do you think this is a good place to start or is there something else I should do first? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.
Sandy

A quick test - if you have a meter - pull one of the battery terminals off after you've had the tractor running and place the meter between the connections, as in, one lead from the meter goes to the battery and the other lead goes to the wire. See if you read 12 volts, If you have an amp setting see if you can read any draw.. ( you shouldn't) If you don't have a meter, simply remove one/either wire from the battery after the tractors been running and charged up.. then lightly touch the wire to the terminal and see if it sparks. If it does, there is a short circuit in the harness. Cubs of this vintage are known for the wires breaking down and causing headaches,, We didn't mention the age of the battery, Small L&G batteries don't seem to last more than 2 or 3 years for me.. A bad cell can be found with a hydrometer if you have one... if not, places like NAPA can test for you! Hope it helps.

My method for trying an engine...know the points are clean,there are many ways to check spark.I have an inline gadget that hooks between plug and wire .If there is good spark it can be seen in the window.If it has good spark I remove air cleaner and give it a quick shot of carb. cleaner( not starting fluid).If everything is right it will fire.If it doesn't then you have to be methodical in finding the problem..

Check the breaker plunger rod, if it is aluminum get a new one.
I still run into aluminium ones on a regular basis

My experience with the “starter/generator” Kohler engines is, if ignition “points, fuel system,plug, coil” are in good shape they start easily in pretty much all weather. When it comes to the lawn & garden battery MUST BE a 300CCA battery or better. The 200-250A battery just don’t have the stuff to do it

If it was me I would pull the starter gen and remove the real cover and check to see if the brushes are worn and check the armature for burn marks.. My 102 did the same thing and I changed out the starter gen with a spare I have and it starts fine now..

My experience with the “starter/generator” Kohler engines is, if ignition “points, fuel system,plug, coil” are in good shape they start easily in pretty much all weather. When it comes to the lawn & garden battery MUST BE a 300CCA battery or better. The 200-250A battery just don’t have the stuff to do it
i would agree w/Neil. we had 2 batteries we had stocked, the 250 for the lawn tractor 10hp or less and not used in the winter and the (I believe) 325CCA (and w/o looking, it might now be 375??)one for anything 10 or more and used for snowblowing. it has gotten now that we only stock the big one.

Years ago,when I first got my 125,It was fall,it started having the same issues.I put a bigger battery in and also put the winter weight oil in.In my case,thats all it took.Keep after it,you'll get it.Let us know what you find.

Back