• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 106 needs some giddy up and go

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hoover

displayname
Paknght
Looking for some who has experience in repairing a clutch/ transmission problem for my 106 10hp garden tractor near Pittsburg, Pa. I have rewired electrical system/had starter generator rebuilt. Starts and runs perfect. I replaced clutch but something is wrong with transmission or linkage. I have no experience in this area. Could take to dealer, but don't put a ton of money into it. I'd rather support a private person than a dealer. Too good to scrap

Mike

When clutch is pushed in, driveshaft moves to the rear. I understand the driveshaft is not suppose to move. Also, on the outside of the transmission in the rear, you can see the shaft moving. I looked a several diagrams and can't tell if there is a cap or something else to keep the shaft from moving or if is in the transmission itself

Thanks

How far back do you think the shaft is moving? Here's the driveline diagram from the manual:

Screenshot 2021-09-21 10.08.58.png

There really isn't much room for the shaft to move backwards. It should be right up against the transmission input shaft within the coupling. And the transmission input shaft shouldn't be able to move either. There's really no space for this issue to occur.

Perhaps this really is as simple as bad pins in the coupling? Either way you'll probably want to remove the entire transaxle to have a good look at everything.

If the driveshaft is moving in and out at the transmission, the roll pin is most likely broken and needs replacement.

The rolled pins at the coupler for drive shaft & transaxle input shaft would be the first thing that I’d inspect As I remember there is 2 of them there. If either of them are broken/sheared it will allow driveshaft to move. The input shaft going into the transmission should have almost “0” end play in it.

Mike - hmm, you said you just replaced the clutch (and we assume you did this yourself). When you did this you had to remove one of the roll pins in the rear coupler that connects to the transmission. It does sounds as tho one of the roll pins in this coupler has broken. Probably the front one that connects the drive shaft to the coupler. Hopefully this is something you can replace yourself.

Back