• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Mr Ed, Chicago West suburbs, New to the group

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest is an 1864, one owner, not running, 1200 hrs, complete but rough. Got it home, took off the front plastic (plastic needs some TLC) so I could get into this and work on it. It looks like I need a good wiring diagram for this so I can trace what they did during the years. No seat switch, and small micro switch hanging under the dash were things I saw at first glance. Put a good battery in and ... nothing. Anyone got a good wiring diagram for an 1864? TIA

Welcome from N.Y. Mr. Ed. I Love my Cyclops.... Any pics ?
No pics now. various states of repair. One is actually a 1641 that is an assembly of parts from various doner tractors. it was running, but not right so it needs work. another is an not running 1864 with missing sides, broken hood and nose, missing muffler, and who knows what else. I also have one of those Green and yellow tractors a JD 400 from 1981, and a 2005 Simplicity Prestige 23 (bought from original owner last year) so I have some work / toys to keep me busy.

well you asked for it ... here a a few shots from my initial look at the latest 1864 I got.

Attachments

• IMG_7908[1].JPG
    IMG_7908[1].JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7909[1].JPG
    IMG_7909[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7911[1].JPG
    IMG_7911[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
There are links to wiring diagrams somewhere on this site. I found my way to 1862 diagram here. The micro switch under the dash may be for the hydro lever. I think it's suppose to kill the deck when you reverse. On the seat switches on mine one was normally open and one was normally closed. Makes a difference if your trying to temporarily disable the switches to figure out what is working or not working. As in one will need a jumper wire and the other will not. Follow the cub diagram and read the notes. It took me some head scratching but I figured mine out.

What's the newest cub you would buy ?
I do like the 2000 and 3000 series. Still shaft drive and the v twin kohlers in the larger sizes. They are not nearly as heavy duty as the cyclops and earlier but do a decent job mowing. The decks are pretty easy to dis mount and mount, at least the 46" and smaller. 48s are a bit more of a challenge or maybe I just never figured out the best way.

Mom has had a 2186 for probably 20 years now. It's had its share of electrical issues and I have put front crank seals in it twice and a rear seal once. Seems like I had to fix a seal on the hydro too. Over all tho been pretty satisfied with it.

I bought a low hour 2185 probably 5 years ago or more. It came with a nice 48" deck and I picked up a 38 with a matching bagger. Later picked up a 46 and made a newer 3 bag bagger work with it.

But I must say after having a couple 82s and a couple cyclops I prefer the cyclops with power steering. If I had one I think I would like an 1872 or 2072 super best of all. But I haven't made having one a priority yet. Lol

What's the newest cub you would buy ?

Tough one to answer. My favorites were produced until 1989. The Cyclops had some comfort improvements, and still retained the stout chassis, BUT the electrical system is overly complicated, thus not as reliable as the older machines. I hate the all "idiot lamp" dash. Most of all I despise that all plastic UGLY nose. With that said, they are far better than what came after them, so I could be persuaded to get a 1997 Cyclops.

In no way shape or form would I ever consider the 2000, 3000, or XT machine. For the most part they are dreadful to look at, cheaply constructed, and too much plastic. Some do have great Command engines for repowers of older machines.

Back