• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Mower frame pulley set up on a 169.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve watley

I think you call this the Mule drive? The beltcomes off the PTO the right side pulley has a spring, and ratchet lever. The other pulley has the bolt tension adjuster.
They both are slide back and forth on the hanger shaft, the spring slides out of the hole of the right hand pulley system so no tension is
Applied. It seems I need spacers or some 1/

Attachments

• 20220504_185600.jpg
    20220504_185600.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220504_185452.jpg
    20220504_185452.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 44
Looks like you are missing the cotter pins (2) that keep those part in the correct position and from moving.

Attachments

• DSCN9305.JPG
    DSCN9305.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN9306.JPG
    DSCN9306.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for the pictures of this area. I noticed it seems I need to take apart the belt clutch to get belt off.
Any others that have pictures of this type spring and bar setup would much appreciated. I save all this stuff for future ref.

Can I ask is this what you all calling Mule Drive? Why so many variations when I search around in here. But not many of 169 like I have.
I also have the snow blower it great shape but have not tried to mount it yet.

The mule drive is the front portion of the deck hanger aka subframe, that has the two pulleys. The variations are for the early "pin on" style, the QA (Quick Attach) narrow frame, and QA wide frame and for the various design and sizes of mower decks that were available for the different series of tractors. Here's a page from the 169 Owners Manual that covers installing the drive belt for the mower deck. Note the mention of disconnecting the PTO clutch lever rod, this will allow enough space between the PTO and the button on the lever to allow the belt to slip through. Also note that the "lever" that is being referred to is not the handle on the left side of the dash, it's the lever assembly in front of the PTO.

169_Manual_52a.jpg

Here's the PTO section:

169_Manual_18a.jpg

Wow thanks so much for the pictures, I enjoy learning the system and different variations. Not just fix my own problems.the picture two above is my exact Mule drive. I can see the cotter pins that hold the idler pullies in place the last reply told me about. I be sure to save this picture it helps a lot. I might pull it all apart and clean lube and put pins back in place.

Looks like you are missing the cotter pins (2) that keep those part in the correct position and from moving.
Today I dropped the drive and took everything apart for Mule drive. He had the shaft in backyards so all the holes were under brackets. Shaped it around all new nuts and bolts and now the spring stays just as your picture. Repainting while it's apart and it should run lot better. Thanks I learned lot on this.

Back