• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Mower deck swap

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locking to install 50a on a 782
I guess I will need to use the 50a mule and change pulleys from 3/8 to 5/8“
Or can I use the 44c mule with the 5/8
and change the 50a deck pulley to 5/8 from the 44c deck
And than what size pto belt would i need same as the 44c 89 1/2” ?

I believe the mules for the C decks are the same no matter the size. You will need 5/8 pulley on the A deck. Another problem may be the location of the front hangers. The C decks have all 3 hanger holes in them. They can be converted to A decks by moving one of the hangers to another hole. I don’t know if the A decks have 3 holes. I only have converted C decks.

You will have to drill the extra hole for the front hanger. Use the 44C mule drive, carriage, deck pulley, and PTO belt.

Here's one more page from the Deck Adapter section of the Adapter Guides I have. Hope this helps and isn't confusing. Remember it's from a newer guide

hanger bracket.jpg

He's using the mule drive and carriage from his 44C, so that does not pertain to his situation.

My 50a rear mounting brackets have one side slopped at 75 degree angle
I don’t know if the former owner reversed the mounting brackets
Can’t imagine both are bent the same
All images I can find show them straight on both sides
Mule does not appear bent
Anyone else experienced this
Thank you
Keith

Attachments

• 3B8C79E4-4957-4110-AA71-D81B59C71345.jpeg
    3B8C79E4-4957-4110-AA71-D81B59C71345.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 7B9E225D-0A65-47E9-B203-5D54D17E5B89.jpeg
    7B9E225D-0A65-47E9-B203-5D54D17E5B89.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 164
Keith - I don't understand why they get bent but as far as I know they should be straight. Probably happens from banging the deck into stuff when using it. Maybe from rubbing against tree trunks, fence posts, or something similar. I used to bend them straight whenever I had the deck off. Have to do it carefully tho - the 3 bolts holding them to the deck will eventually crack thru the deck.

Wayne,

On the 44/50 A/C decks (the stamped deck, like you have. Measure the width of the undercarriage where the lift pin holes are. Then measure the distance between the spring pin brackets.

The 50's are worse but Dad and I had issues with the 50 and 44's falling off because the spring pin brackets "spreading" so when you are not level, or turning, the pin can come out of one side and let the deck drop.

Keith,
I found this and a few other similar references in the archives.

IIRC, narrow frame deck pins had hairpins and washers on the exit side of the carriage. That may be a worthwhile mod for your 782.

Sorry for the confusion the 50a deck is on my 1650
And yes the pins can come out on occasion when backing up or turning or both
Thinking about trying to spread rear of mule a little to help
If the pins were just a little longer it would not be an issue

Keith - I doubt the rear hanger brackets are installed backwards. The 3 holes/bolts thru the deck and thru the brackets only allow them to be installed one way. (If they were reversed the holes in the deck would be in the wrong places).
Tweeking the rear of the sub-frame bracket so the sides are closer to the deck hanger brackets will probably help a little. Also, make sure the springs on the pins are in good condition and snap the pins in place. If the pins are sloppy and weak the pins will tend to slide and slip out of the sub-frame bracket.

I looked you could swap brackets from side to side and also reverse the spring pins to go into the mule and the 3 bolt mounts would align this way putting the straigt side of bracket next to mule holes
Both brackets are about 10degrees slop away from the mule and looks to be manufactured this way

Back