• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Mower deck middle blade not cutting grass

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcasey

displayname
Brian Casey
hello,
I have been searching for related information across the internet, but haven't found anything at all. I have a cub 126, I just replaced the wiring harness and it runs pretty darn well. I put the mowing deck back on and went out to cut the grass, but my excitement was the only thing cut short. it seems the middle blade isn't cutting at all. Didn't have much daylight to investigate further. Does anyone have insight into what the problem could be? Thanks.

Brian, I think I'd check to see if the pulley is actually fastened to the blade arbor/ spindle. Perhaps if you can grab the blade with one hand and hang onto the top pulley and twist them in opposite directions. They shouldn't move. Also see if the nut is still in place and tight at the blade..

Also, make sure the blade isn't on upside down...... don't ask how I know...

A 126 is a Garden Tractor, for quicker replys, post in the main forum at teh top of the page.

woops, maybe an admin will move the thread the the right spot.

I took the deck off and 2 of the blades where loose. The center being very loose. 3 blade, 37" deck. How should I go about tightening them? or rather how do i hold the spindle so i can tighten them? The nuts themselves are very tight. are there any threads about this? I'm curious how people arrange their blades, are they pointing the same way in unison or are they staggered?

My blades are also pretty beat up so I'll probably sharpen them or at least take some of thde big gouges out.

I use a 1 1/4 or 1 1/8 socket (don’t remember which one, mine has a spot on the shelf) and a 1/2 inch impact, air or cordless. I hold the blade with a gloved hand, and just zip them off and on. Without an impact, put a board to “jam” the blade and a breaker bar.

Brian, there should be a "friction" washer under each blade. Perhaps yours are missing and the nuts are bottoming out before they tighten up the blade? You should be able to just tighten the nuts up by holding the blade, or wedging a block of wood between the blade and the mower deck housing. If that doesn't work, there should be flat spots on the outer blade pulleys for a wrench and a hole in the center pulley that lines up with a hole in the deck housing that a screwdriver can be placed in to prevent turning while you tighten the nut holding the blade on.

Brain C.
To late now.
biggrin.gif

Thanks. I'll use the pully holes and a screwdriver. The blades spin seperate from spindle so they will be no help. I dont think those friction washers are there. Im asssuming they are special with some sort of tractioning feature and i cant just go get some washers off the shelf right?

Brian, CC Specialties sells them. I’m not sure how special they are. I think the nut is bottoming out on the threads, as a test you could just use a plain washer as a spacer.

I made some friction washers out of some scraps of Formica counter material.Worked OK till I got the right ones.

Back