• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Moving into the shop after remodel, storage tip

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Got to thinking, (sometimes that is a bad idea though) but not this time I hope.

I had a bunch of big heavy duty boxes I collected,from the co-op this spring while working anhydrous. These are the ones that two 2-1/2 gallon jugs are shipped in and are really thick wall and sturdy. I had used them to move everything from the shop prior to cleaning and doing the floor.

Well, now (finally) I am moving back in!! And thought why not cut them to size to fit the deep cabinets and pack them with the small parts I am needing from time to time? They fit really good in the cabinets I had reworked to use under the workbench.

I cut some the size I needed and used the tops for other small parts by gluing the flaps down to one another. like the bottoms, effectively making another box. Will use these on shelving units elsewhere, then make up some labels for them i.e. electrical, clutch parts, driveline, wheel end parts, trim etc.

Much easier to pull the box out rather then dragging everything out piece by piece looking for what you need as you know it will be in the very back corner!! Bigger individual items will go in the drawer below.

326343.jpg

326344.jpg

David ,you can never have too much storage ,in a machine shop ,put a rag in the bottom as well ,i have the floor mats as well ,

Dave - those FS boxes are neat! Dad drove for FS out of their tank farm & terminal in Albany, Ill. Plus they supplied all our livestock feed and fuel and oil and grease for our farm equipment. I'm really surprised FS used their own boxes for herbicide jugs. Company I drove for had part of the contract with Monsanto south of Muscatine to haul 45 ft by 13-1/2 ft dry van loads of empty 2-1/2 gallon Round-Up jugs from Continental Can Corp in Elk Grove Village, Ill to Muscatine. Heartland Express hauled them too. Full truck load was 8900 pounds. Think West Side Transport got some too. That was way back before the bypass around Muscatine, you had to drive right downtown with all the narrow streets, sharp turns and dozens of stoplights.

Anyhow, nice looking shop.

Picked up one of these from Sam's club the other day.
Going to use it for paint and oil storage.
Thre door has key locks and magnetic keepers when not locked bit is a bit on the flimsy side what with the joint between the two halves.

The pads on the shelved are "oil pig mats" and will absorb any drips from the cans/jugs/bottles.
They work great as well under Cubs or cars for that matter that are in long term storage.

DSCN7463.JPG
DSCN7464.JPG

Several years ago when I worked for a couple different Ag/Chem companies, we had to burn all the boxes. Every jug that was empty had a hole poked in it at the sprayer, etc. and rinsed. They had to be taken in for Hazardous waste disposal. Funy how some of those part jugs of round-up , etc. fell off the truck at a drive on the way in or out of the plant. Same with the wood pallets, if they had chemicals on them they were to be burned. Those were nice heavy boxes though but we never got any oil or grease in. Strictly chemicals.

Back