• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Motor opinions needed

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My xt2 and proZ 554s both have the kawasaki. The xt2 is 2 years old and is primarily a snow blower, and I have had zero issues with the tractor or engine in almost 150 hours. My proZ has a 27 🐎 kawi that has been bulletproof in its 375 hours of use. In both machines I average just shy of a gallon of fuel per hour. I'm not familiar with bad boy tractors enough to give an opinion other than I am starting to see them at tractor supply. The kawasaki is very easy to maintain as well. Simple, and clean to do the oil changes.

Not sure about a bad boy, but Kawasaki is the way to go for a motor. Bought a SCAG commercial mower in 05' and have had no issues with it at all. I did have to put new blades and a battery on it though. Not bad considering it is 17 years old. :errrr:

Have no experience with Kawasaki. Have owned several Kohler engines from old all iron single piston to todays v twin OHV. And have never had serious issues with any of them. A friend owns a “Bad Boy” with a Kohler. Only 3 years old but no issues

Dave,
Just curious as why you would prefer Kohler over Kawasaki? I have been using my Kawasaki for 17 years with not even a hint of a problem.

If the Kaw is liquid cooled, I prefer it, the reason for Kohler is my 1972 108 has the original Kohler K241, I bought the tractor in 1992 used Castrol straight 40 wt in it up to the present, and have not had one issue with it, with the exception of keeping good points and plug and air filter in it, thats my philosophy anyway!!

My 27 hp Kawasaki in my Cub Cadet 54" zero turn has 245 hours, I replace the primary air filter about every 3 years, parts guy at my dealer says the 6 yr old secondary filter is good for a while yet, oil and filter change before the first mow every year and grease what needs greasing 3-4 times a year. I DID take all the cooling shrouds off the engine 2 years ago to see if clippings were building up on the engine. I blew the few blades of grass away and put everything back on. Dealer service tech on Red Power Magazine forum posted a picture of the outside and inside of a Kawasaki engine that had loads of clippings and leaves on the fins, it over-heated and seized. Was not pretty.
I would take another Kawasaki over a new Kohler any day. My Son is the Quality Manager at SKAG, I REALLY like my Cub Cadet zero turn but I would buy a SKAG next time. I'm missing the Bad Boyz TV commercials this spring, last 6 years I watched Mallory Clark tell me to "Mow with an ATTITUDE" on a Bad Boyz mower. She must be working elsewhere.

I agree the old Kohler engines are tough as nails, but you can't go and buy one like them anymore. We are talking about new engines on new equipment.

Considering a 2086 w/Kawa power, 3 cyl
Should I be overly concerned because of it having 1150 hours on the clock??
The FD620 is a great Kawi 2 cylinder motor but they didn't change over to the steel cam gear until the mid to late 90's IIRC. I believe all 2086's were built with the plastic gear. I would ask the owner if the original plastic cam gear has been replaced with the steel gear. Lots of good vid's over on YouTube with the greenie boys converting their engines over. The Kubota WG600 was the only 3 cylinder gas engine that Cub Cadet used and was the best gas engine ever put into a Cub Cadet IMHO.

On the original post. Kohler isn't what it once was. I'm on a few Scag owner sites and not many people have good things to say about the new Kohlers. Lots of owners love the Kawi engines over there.

Back