• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Motor ID

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PACub100

IHCC Supporter
Anyone recognize this motor? Briggs and Stratton on the ID tag...there's another little one behind it. Maybe I can get them out and take some better pictures next weekend.

20220417_164326.jpg

Any chance those are outboard motors?

I don't know, seems awfully small for that plus it has some sort of mount...the lever would obviously be a hand crank starter.
Found them digging around my dad's machine shed. Dad caught my sister's ex trying to toss them in the scrap and put them up on a mezzanine for another day...👍😎👍

Pac, the right one appears to be a Briggs "a"..you can look that up the shape of the shroud is right,spark plug location is right,might have originally been kickstart...The left engine not very good pic but it might be a Reo...would have to see more

Both are Briggs & Stratton engines. The one with the starting handle looks to be a washing machine engine. I would advise posting on smokstak.com in the small engine forum. Many knowledgeable people view this site and will probably know the exact model numbers and years produced.

Pac,I have 3 wmb ,they just sound so cool when you get them down to a putt...only 1 "A" but no carb...the small tank showing could also be for a wmb ....I left my nails in the garage the last 2 days working on mowers...serious frustration over engines (2) that wouldn't crank right ...new battery eventually figured it out....jumper cable (almost new) not doing full load....cursed a lot..

Definitely worth fixing up. People go crazy over them at antique engine shows. Real fun to hear them running. A lot of people hook them up to ice cream makers.

Pac, the one your holding is a wmb made for rural folks washing machines,the rounded corner tank goes with it...The carb is the hardest part to find..rings available,coil can be upgraded, .020 on points if you stay original..the tank has a check ball in the stem.."flywheel Supply" carries new parts for tank...WELL worth fixing...I think the other is a "Y" not an A (still not sure) both have similar shrouds again the carbs are the hardest to find so be careful with any screw..These were 30 to 40s engines..if you have serial no. they are trackable..Briggs made some hand starts like kickers.I thinking somebody added the one on the Y.It reminds me of an old implement handle.Guessing the engine was mounted above ground so kicking was not good..There is a lot of info out there...GOOD LUCK maybe you'll get the bug....

Pac, I had never seen a designation of mod.500 before..It is identical to the wm and the wmb except it is a 1/2 hp...I did find a wm 1/2 hp 1936 to 41.....I never said I'd seen them all but this 500 has me researching...Perhaps it was meant to run a stationary machine other than washer.It does not have a typical exhaust manifold that connected to a 4 ft flex pipe(so it could run inside exhaust out door/window).... my wmb are 3/4 hp....note ex. in pic

Attachments

• 100_1471.JPG
    100_1471.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 33
Back