• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Montgomery reel mower attachment

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
displayname
Matt O
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some information on the Montgomery reel mower in the Special Duty Attachment brochure from the 1960's. I have a friend who also collects these vintage garden tractors and a while back he acquired the reel mower in a package deal but never did anything with it. I went over his place a couple days ago and he asked if I would be interested in buying the reel mower attachment. He said make an offer....... well I want to be fair but I have no idea what it's worth. I'd offer $500.00 but it could be more or could be less. Is this attachment really rare and is there anyone with information on them? I didn't take a picture of it but I will this weekend but it looks like what I have pictured. It was mounted to a Cub Cadet 125 when he got it. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220617-062438_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-062438_Photos.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2
that's like asking what's the tractor worth. What's it worth to you? Or better yet, what's the seller value it at? All I can say is start low and let them put a number to it. Try and negotiate so you both feel good with the exchange. Be honest with them and admit you have no idea of the value... toss out a number that you can live with then see where it goes. It is a somewhat rare piece but you don't know if it's all there? Most important is do you want it, if so, how bad? Have fun!!

that's like asking what's the tractor worth. What's it worth to you? Or better yet, what's the seller value it at? All I can say is start low and let them put a number to it. Try and negotiate so you both feel good with the exchange. Be honest with them and admit you have no idea of the value... toss out a number that you can live with then see where it goes. It is a somewhat rare piece but you don't know if it's all there? Most important is do you want it, if so, how bad? Have fun!!
Starting low and negotiating is normally how I go about purchasing but since there's virtually zero information on this attachment and seeing only 1 restored as I have pictured I want to make sure it's a fair deal for both parties. From what I saw it was complete with most it's original paint and it spun freely. (Photo credits belong to a post on this website.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220525-074959_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220525-074959_Chrome.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
I can't find where this attachment was made as an option for the Cub Cadet 125 Era, just earlier for the Original and 70/100 models. Any knowledge as to wether this was an original attachment for all narrow frames?

Ask what he wants for it first.
I don't price other people's stuff, because you may make them mad by your offer. They may think it is worth $10,000.00, so find out what they have in mind first.
If their price is way too high, you can say thanks and walk away. If it is within reason, then you can negotiate a price between you both. :bluethumbsup:

Interesting that the Montgomery Reel mower only shows up in the Special Duty Equipment brochures for the Original.

Original_SDE-2_08b.jpg

Original_SDE-2_08a.jpg

Montgomery_Reel_Mower.jpg

Here's the above page broken up into multiple images so that they will display larger:

Montgomery_Reel_Mower-a.jpg

Montgomery_Reel_Mower-b1.jpg

If the one that you are looking at was mounted onto a 125 it's most likely the model "CC-34-710" as listed below. The "1964" model Cub Cadets would be the 70 and 100 which have the same mounting dimensions as a 125. The only real difference would be that the 125 would have the Quick Attach mounting, but was backwards compatible with the bolt on mounting of the 70/100. (The 71, 102, 122 and 123 models also had the bolt on mounting setup.)

Montgomery_Reel_Mower-b2.jpg

Montgomery_Reel_Mower-c1.jpg

Montgomery_Reel_Mower-c2.jpg

Interesting that the Montgomery Reel mower only shows up in the Special Duty Equipment brochures for the Original.

View attachment 149780

View attachment 149781

View attachment 149773

Here's the above page broken up into multiple images so that they will display larger:

View attachment 149774

View attachment 149776

If the one that you are looking at was mounted onto a 125 it's most likely the model "CC-34-710" as listed below. The "1964" model Cub Cadets would be the 70 and 100 which have the same mounting dimensions as a 125. The only real difference would be that the 125 would have the Quick Attach mounting, but was backwards compatible with the bolt on mounting of the 70/100. (The 71, 102, 122 and 123 models also had the bolt on mounting setup.)

View attachment 149777

View attachment 149778

View attachment 149779
Most likely because improved rotary deck design made reel mowers an unpopular option...

Back