• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Modified IH 1650 Cub Cadet

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjruchti

displayname
Roger J. Ruchti
Purchased this tractor and snow thrower with no engine. PO said he loaned it to a neighbor and they didn't check the oil. Ventilated the block. Could not locate Kohler replacement that did not need rebuild so put a late model Briggs Vanguard 16 hp twin in it. Had a welding shop fab the drive shaft to engine coupler. Used it two snow seasons but only a few times. Had a 50" deck on it while another mower was down. No issues what so ever. Runs smooth and quiet. Only modification to the hood was a half circle cut out for the exhaust extension. No changes to the frame.
SAM_1492.JPG SAM_1493.JPG SAM_1494.JPG

SAM_1495.JPG

What model vanguard is that? Looks very nice in there, and it even looks as though you could still run the side panels, modified for exhaust of course. I've been rooting with the idea of getting rid of the Kohler in my 1650, for something smoother and quieter. I've measured the kawasaki twin, but the cost of a horizontal shaft in the kawasaki is ridiculous. I've always liked Briggs, but the only really available conversion I've found says I couldn't run side panels, and that's a deal breaker for me.

Motor SR: 303447 Type No: 1295 E1 4354 Code: 98081911

Side panels would have to be modified. Rather than do that I hung them up for another tractor. To have a good running tractor was more important than those side panels to me. All the OEM motor mounts were scrapped and the motor is bolted solid to the frame on cross members. Had to build the fly wheel to PTO adapter twice to get it right but that is part of it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1436155992...wbfhybsjp_C91cmUg3FGpXSIzV-MjQDMaAshvEALw_wcB
Here's a link to the kit I was referring to. I'll bet the side panels would fit, but have to be modified for cylinder clearance on top, and probably the oil filter. This kit says to use the 1 gallon tank they supply, there gotta be a better way. But I won't know till I proceed to checkout and it's here. It's hard to kick aside a perfectly fine engine Kohler though.

I put the OEM fuel tank on the back. Not ideal but if you rermember it is back there no issues. Lot more run time with that tank. The side panels would work if modified like you said. I chose to just leave them off. Only sheet metal modification was the half circle cut out for the exhaust. Runs much smoother than any single Kohler would.

Back