• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model / Serial number assistance??

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Melton

Hello, I recently bought a Cub cadet, but am not really sure of the model. It looks very much like a 102, has the square rear fenders, and 10 HP K241 engine. The serial number is: 174516. I wanted to please ask if anyone may be able to tell me the correct model and also year? Thanks so much for any help on this!! Regards, Eric

Hello, I recently bought a Cub cadet, but am not really sure of the model. It looks very much like a 102, has the square rear fenders, and 10 HP K241 engine. The serial number is: 174516. I wanted to please ask if anyone may be able to tell me the correct model and also year? Thanks so much for any help on this!! Regards, Eric
Everything below the 125 didn't use kind codes, but it was made in Dec. 1966.
Pics would be nice,

1613012113970.png

Ha LOL, Digger beat me to it. Like he said, kind codes weren't used til the 1X6 1X7 series of machines, so unfortunately the serial number can't determine the model of tractor. But judging by the characteristics you describe, it is probable that it is indeed a 102.

Again, pictures would be nice!

Here are two pictures, only from rear, the man I got this from did quite a bit of customizations, with this rear hoist bolted up to rear, and a custom front bumper. How do you like this paint job? Overall very nice, the engine was bored .010 over, but the previous owner let someone drive it hard I believe just after the rebuild and there is a knock in engine, very slight a slow idle, such a shame as he did such a nice job on everything. It starts perfect and runs well, except for the noticeable knock as you speed it up. A definite model and any other information on this would be great. Thanks so much, Eric

Attachments

• cub pics.jpg
    cub pics.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 221
  • cub pics2.jpg
    cub pics2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 220
Those white rubber seats are hard to find.. I would try and clean all that black paint off it and see what shape it is in..

You're not gonna believe this but... I recognize that machine! The craigslist post for it showed up on Roland's Cub forum a couple years back. Everyone got quite a kick outta that...

Generally internal knock on a Kohler is caused by piston slap and not the rod, because it's a splash-lubricated engine and the rod'll usually break long before it wears out enough to cause a noticeable knock. Since the engine was freshly bored .010 over I wouldn't think piston slap would be an issue, unless they used a standard piston instead of a .010 oversize!!

Perhaps the keyway for the S/G and PTO pulley is all wallowed out, causing it to knock. Or it could be worn out driveline components. There's many things in the clutch assembly that could cause a rattle. My 106's clutch is perfectly operational but the clutch plate knocks on the pins of the driver. Cub Cadet used 3 little "anti-rattle springs" to try and prevent that, my 106 only has one and it's worn small slots into the clutch disc, I need to move it to a different pin on the driver. Perhaps your machine is missing them?

It was on ebay in November and still listed, I paid $500 for it, from the man in Ohio. I was thinking the same, maybe it is something else making this knock, I have not checked into this too close yet. He gave me a much reduced price because of the knock. The man definitely did the .010 over, he showed me the Kohler kit he bought for this. I will try to get it moved to get a better pic of the whole thing, the front is very nice with the very heavy duty from bumper, and he did a great job wiring it, not a real fan of those catepiller lights. I was not aware that the seat was painted over from white to black, but I can stratch off to see the white, the seat is very nice, i would hate to mess it up if I did not remove this paint the correct process. So you all think this is a 102?

I would assume that yes, it is a 102. 10hp, and it has the correct seat (although painted black).

Take a good look at all the clutch and driveline components, if the holes in the clutch plate where the clutch driver pins sit are worn into ovals, then there's definitely a clutch plate knock. Also, pull the engine cylinder head and clean up the piston; look to make sure there's some sort of a ".010" marking in the piston. If it says "STD" then it's a standard size piston and it's too small, but I would assume that if it's from a whole rebuild kit then it's probably the proper .010 piston.

IF the issue is indeed piston slap then when at TDC you should be able to wiggle the piston side to side within the bore, and possibly see part of the rings. I've got an old Briggs and Stratton that got that bad. But again I think this is very unlikely; usually with that kind of wear the engine would burn a LOT of oil and smoke real bad. Which, it doesn't sound like your engine is doing. Pull the head, clean the piston, and post a pic of it all here. That should make it really easy to determine if issue is internal or external.

Here ya go, I found the thread where I'd seen it before. Was actually only a few months ago, not as long as I originally thought. Turns out the paint job wasn't taken too well, everyone wished it was still CC yellow. but they were more concerned of the fact that it was originally listed for $1800!! Good thing you got it for less!

Here Ya Go! - Only Cub Cadets

I would like to find the lifting parts for this 102, this tractor does not have the lift handle or any of the parts for manual lifting, would like to find everything I would need to use a manual lift front snow blade, including the snow blade.

Wow, a lime green cub cadet wreck truck tractor! LOL Kinda neat winch setup.
Don't scratch too much on that black seat. I have one that has never been painted, and it is black. Always thought it was a factory replacement seat, kind of like the factory 8 HP replacement engine for the 7 HP.

Thanks, the black looks way to good to touch, I would hate to do damage to the seat itself. Hey, the color does grow on you, the sheet metal is perfect, I was going to do a repaint to original, but I have too many other things to worry about, I may give the hood a coat of white, other than that, I am ready to go tow cars out of our recent 12 inch snow here in Memphis area!!

Back