• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

model numbers are confoozing me

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
displayname
SQZ BOX
a gentleman here explained that the 882 in my 145882399 model number on my 782D means it is the diesel version of the 782 line. But now I'm wondering what did they use, in the model number, to decipher a real 882D so as not to make you think it's a 782D ? other than the badge on the side of the hood.

882 would have been painted yellow and white. It is mechanically identical to a 782D. To my knowledge, the CCC-produced yellow/white tractors did not have different model numbers on the serial tag than their red IH-badged counterparts.

I'm only assuming that the model 882 came as gas or diesel. if that is correct, what would a model number look like on a 882 gas vs 882 diesel ?

I'm talking about the model number on the serial number tag. just to clarify. I think somebody might tell me what the dif is on the side of the hood. lol

Not correct....
882 is the diesel only version of the 82 series painted yellow and white.
Produced only in 1984. CCC factory #142-784-100 and 143-784-100
Same as 782D except for color AND CCC badge.
The 782D is just that, a red and white 782 with a diesel, hence the "D"
As I understand it, there were 782's built by CCC, series #2 in '84 only, w/yellow and white paint jobs as well as red.

Last edited:
Here is the tag from a 1984 882:

cubcadet882dieselmower-24.jpg

The last three digits denote the 782D red(399) vs. yellow white (100)paint. The units are otherwise practically identical.

1811 is correct. The 399 at the end of the model means it's a red painted 882 making it a 782D. If the model number ends in 100 it is a yellow and white machine. They used the 399 or 100 on the other machines also when they were making both color machines.

Example, I bought a 2140 last week to redo.It said 2140 on side panels...Turns out from I.D. tag it's a 2185 .The 2185 came with a 46 or 48 deck,this one has a 42 deck.....So sometimes you can't even tell what you're buying until you chase numbers and a tape...We can only guess what previous owners do until we prove it...

Back