• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model 70 - Odd piece on the side

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrago

displayname
Joseph Rago
Good Evening,

I've taken apart my Model 70 probably further than I should but hey - live and learn. Please take a look at the photo attached. Does this rectangular plate belong here, or was it added by a prior owner? Can anyone provide a photo of a clean Model 70 in this area? Also is the number in the second photo what I would use to find the year of my 70? It is cast into the transmission.

Thanks, Joe

Attachments

• WEB QUESTION.jpg
    WEB QUESTION.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 266
Interesting that you call it an electrical junction box on your tractor. It reminds me of an experience I had on a long-gone Cub Cadet.

When I first got my 126 almost 20 years ago, my Kohler dealer sold me a lock nut for the muffler elbow that appeared to be for electrical conduit. He assured me that he had sold many of these, and they were suitable even though they were not Kohler parts. I laid down my $1, and went on my way to try it out.

I installed it, started her up, and warmed up the engine doing a few laps in my front yard. I soon noticed a drip of molten metal fall from the muffler/block point of contact. That lock ring had melted. Fortunately it had landed on the driveway, so I could retrieve it easily. I went back to my Kohler dealer, and told him my story. He replied: "I guess those cast iron Kohlers hold more heat than the aluminum engines of today!" We laughed. He ordered a genuine unit or two for me. He made that sale right, and we became good friends over the years. I still laugh when I find myself near one of those conduit nuts.

Sorry this wasn't particularly on topic, nor helpful.

Interesting that you call it an electrical junction box on your tractor. It reminds me of an experience I had on a long-gone Cub Cadet.

When I first got my 126 almost 20 years ago, my Kohler dealer sold me a lock nut for the muffler elbow that appeared to be for electrical conduit. He assured me that he had sold many of these, and they were suitable even though they were not Kohler parts. I laid down my $1, and went on my way to try it out.

I installed it, started her up, and warmed up the engine doing a few laps in my front yard. I soon noticed a drip of molten metal fall from the muffler/block point of contact. That lock ring had melted. Fortunately it had landed on the driveway, so I could retrieve it easily. I went back to my Kohler dealer, and told him my story. He replied: "I guess those cast iron Kohlers hold more heat than the aluminum engines of today!" We laughed. He ordered a genuine unit or two for me. He made that sale right, and we became good friends over the years. I still laugh when I find myself near one of those conduit nuts.

Sorry this wasn't particularly on topic, nor helpful.

I know the piece you speak of - and it would be intuitive to use it, but I could see it melting like your experience. Thanks for looking. - Joe

That plate doesn’t belong there. They likely added it to repair a damaged hole where the bolt passes through the dash tower.

The serial number is stamped onto a pad about 1” square on the right side of the transmission.

Marty, you have a incredible magic touch to make that 70 a real beauty again!

Thanks for sharing that photo. Informational AND........INSPIRATIONAL. WOW

Latest posts

Back