• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model 70 muffler options?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John DeBree

In looking at mufflers for my Model 70, I see the regular round 'lawn mower' muffler, that screws on to the exhaust elbow, but I also see a big muffler that attaches with a clamp, and has an angle fastening point on the other end. How do these hook up? I'm guessing a straight piece of pipe instead of the elbow? And the muffler goes...? Where does the fastener on the other end go? Seems like these mufflers would be a lot quieter for a working tractor.

The 7hp (K161) in the 70 does not have the heat shield that the larger, 10hp, 12hp and so on have. This heat shield is used to mount the larger muffler. Here are some photos of a 12hp (K301) that show the heat shield and how the larger muffler is mounted.

Muffler_01.jpg

Muffler_02.jpg

Aah- That makes sense. In looking at the K161, it wouldn't work, I don't think. The exhaust comes straight out the front, rather than on an angle like the bigger engines. Everyone selling the bigger mufflers list them for Model 70's, though. I can't remove my exhaust elbow anyway. After two weeks of Kroil and heat, it's still fused in place. I put a long pipe on the end and lifted the front of the tractor off of the ground, and it didn't budge. I guess I'll order a generic screw-on muffler and call it good. Thanks!

John, here is what I did. Turns out a 2" fence post is pretty close to the right i.d. to make an adapter sleeve to attach a 1 1/2" pipe nipple which the generic muffler screws into. (this is a 12 hp K301) As far as noise goes it might be a little louder but there's not much difference.

Latest posts

Back