• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model 70 Clutch shaft removal

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzintner

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Kurt
I am winding down in preparing my machine for prep and prime/paint. When removing the clutch shaft from the coupling; should I remove the coupling from the input shaft or remove the clutch shaft from the coupling?

Thanks,

One other question. How to remove gear shift lever for prep work and replace the spring directly below the lever? I did not see anything in the service manual. Of course I might have missed it.

Thanks

On the coupling,
Whichever is easier.
The coupling may need replaced if the spirol pin holes are worn or the through bore is sloppy on the shaft.
The coupling and shaft both may need replaced if they are worn on either end.
Use a 1/4" spirol pin punch to remove the pins.
Easiest way, if the engine and rear tires are removed is to stand the machine up on it's butt.

Thanks Dave, presently the machine is on its wheels. Actualy preping for cleaning and prime/paint. the shaft, etc. are going to be individually preped and painted.

Take care,

To remove the spring on the shift lever, just remove the roll pin that's at the top of the spring. Then the spring should slide off.

Shift Lever_01.jpg

438.jpg

Thanks again, that looks like the same condition as mine. I noticed you are from Wisconsin. I worked remotely for a company in Wauwatosa . Are you near there?

There are also 2 little cups and corresponding "O" rings that go with that shift assembly to more or less seal around the lever itself to keep moisture out.
Not how they are positioned on the stick when you take it apart.

Thanks again, that looks like the same condition as mine. I noticed you are from Wisconsin. I worked remotely for a company in Wauwatosa . Are you near there?

That one is just one from the archives, photo is 20 years old or so. I'm in St. Croix County, which is on the West side of Wisconsin. Wauwatosa is in the far South Eastern part of Wisconsin in Milwaukee County.

wisconsin-county-map.jpg

Still working on my disassembly. Regarding the input shaft to the transmission. Am I correct it looks like there are two roll pins in the coupler. Also regarding the shaft that holds the clutch pedal to the frame; how do I remove the clutch pedal and shaft from the tractor frame?

Thanks

Secondly for those others like me who take a longer than usual time to restore or refurbish, I am taking pictures to help with reassembly.

1/4" Spirol pins in the couplers, 2 of them,
Why do you want to remove the clutch pedal??
Not necessary at all.
Follow the instructions in the FSM for clutch removal and rebuild.

Back