• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model 1811 Pulling Roller, Just Stopped Pulling

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdtaylor

Model 1811. While pulling a water filled roller, the tractor stopped pulling. Transmission oil level is OK and no lose of oil. Both roll pins are in place on the driveshaft.

What could cause this problem? Would the two valves in top of the transmission have anything to do with this?

Thanks,
Jdtaylor

Sounds like a pin has sheared in the driveshaft. Happens most times at the rear where the driveshaft coupler connects to the input side of the Hydro.

And sometimes it'll look like it's there and complete. But it's broken inside. Sometimes you can see the input shaft not turning but the driveshaft does turn.

The roll pins on the driveshaft are the biggest issue I have with my 1512D. Through the years the holes in the driveshaft have ovalized, so the roll pins don't stay in there as they used to. My dealer loops a stainless-steel wire through the middle of the pin to give them a better chance of staying in. That solution usually lasts for quite a while. I had been thinking about having the driveshaft replaced with one of the U-Joint updates that a few people have had done to their units.

OK. I think this is being read wrong.... so I think we need more clarification.

I think what he is saying is, he has a chassis that he is TOWING that he is going to make into a puller tractor. He was TOWING the chassis and the wheels quit rolling. I don’t believe he was driving the tractor.

So, yes, if the tires quit rolling while towing it could be the valves. It could be other things, but that new of a tractor should havre the automatic valves and one isn’t dumping correctly

I think the OP need to give a bit of clarification.

While pulling a water filled roller

The tractor isn't a roller chassis, he stated that he was using the 1811 to pull a lawn roller:
1289614.jpeg

Hope that helps clear the situation up a bit.

Since it was filled with water at the time of failure, it's weight would be putting extra strain on the driveshaft. This would be a likely time for one of the pins to shear. As stated above, they can break and still appear to be fully intact. Best thing to do is pull the driveshaft and replace all the pins, as if one went the others can't be far behind.

So, if the pin cracks then breaks on the inside, which I have seen them do, that wire will keep you going!!??

I don't think so Tim.

Think about it.
If the holes are wallowed out to the point the pin falls out, and the wire keeps it from doing so, it's going to break on the inside on the edge of the driveshaft and eventually on the other edge of the drive shaft as well if left long enough.

Best to
FIX the issue right off, new driveshaft, pinion or coupler, either/or all if needed.

Back