• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model 122 question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In many of the photos in the brochures there's lots of parts on the tractor that are painted yellow when they shouldn't be.

122mower-1.jpg

123_Brochure02-1.jpg

123_Brochure08-1.jpg

123_Brochure09-1.jpg

123_Brochure10-1.jpg

As for the yellow everywhere, After working on production lines, My guess is "Hey Jim, could you get that new tractor painted berore you go home?.. We need to start putting it together tomorrow morning!"

I don't believe that any production Cub Cadets actually left the factory with the yellow foot rests. Those are pre-production prototypes used for testing and photo shoots. When you get to refurbishing your 122, check and see if there is black paint under the yellow on the foot rests, I would think that there is but, ya never know...

I like how they use midgets to make the tractor look big.. Looks like you get more for your money.. lol

While not midgets, they did do just that. The most notable one is the CCC flier with the SGT (Super Garden Tractor):

1984CCC_SGT.jpg

I had heard that ^^ he ^^ owns the Original that was used on the cover of the 40th Anniversary brochure. It has the seat spring flipped around so the seat can be closer to the steering wheel. That's the story that I heard anyway, whether there's any truth to it I don't know.

Here's his Original as used on the 40th Anniversary brochure cover:

40th Anniversary Brochure.jpg

Advertisers crack me up.... 🤣
I remember, either it was a CaseIH or late IH add that had a group of "farmers" and their wives standing around the new tractor, headlining "After a hard day's work" and yet the tractor is spotless and everyone looks like they're modeling clothes for JCPenney. I mean, really...your targets know what stained jeans and torn boots look like. They all looked like they were about to climb in and go to church... :roflol:

What's up with the grey headlight panels?
I had to laugh at the young guy. He has rolled up pants, white knee socks and dress shoes on. There's not a blade of grass coming out of the deck, and none on it either. I'd bet he is just sitting there in fashion for the camera. :roflol:

That is real grass. He just hit a thick spot on that already mown lawn! :errrr:
I would say there has been a lot of air brushing going on. ;)

Would like to know what you guys think. I just bought a 122 the other week and it appears to be a 1965. It has the 2 holes on the hood cross brace and bracket under the battery tray. I will attach a few pictures to give you guys an idea. I've read online that there were a few built in '65. I own a 1967 Model 71 and non of the items are present for the hood spring. Any information is welcome.
i also have been asking how this spring latch works, even after see the brace i have no idea how these operate. it seems most are gone maybe and not used. i would love to go to one these shows they have and see the tractors first hand. is there any in east PA this summer

I give up, what spring latch are you referring to? Any pics? "a picture is worth a thousand words."
I have seen hood spring latches on later models.
I do believe I spot one of those latches on the last ad Kraig just posted. I would say the model, but someone airbrushed over the model # on the hood!

Last edited:
I haven't seen any pictures of how this latch works. I remember back a few years ago on the Facebook groups it was brought up. No one posted a picture of it but questioned it. My 71 has no bracket or holes in the hood brace. The early models of the 71/1x2-3 models had some ''New for Cub Cadet'' items that were later discontinued.

Back