• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model 107 carburetor question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acocconi

displayname
Alan Cocconi
Hi Folks, My 107 has been sitting in the shed for a few years. I got a new battery and attempted to start it up a few days ago. When I filled the gas tank, gas started flowing out of the carburetor air intake. OK, that probably means the float needle is stuck. Sprayed the whole thing with carb cleaner, took the bowl off, and the float moves freely. Removed the mixture adjustment screw, cleaned it, and sprayed more cleaner in there. Put it all back together and tried again. Starts, but quits after a few seconds. Most likely not getting any fuel.

So, I think I know the answer to this, but it always helps to talk through it and get other opinions. Got any suggestions that don't involve removing the carburetor and cleaning the whole thing? Thanks in advance! Al C.

No, the solution is likely to remove the carb and clean it, provided that the fuel flow to the carb is good and the fuel is fresh enough.

That was my answer, too. Didn't really like it, but not much choice! Yes, the fuel is fresh - just bought it last week.

Looks like I have Monday planned...

I will never forget a statement made by one of the members of this forum.
It goes something like this:

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

My belief is, If we do anything, we should do it to the best of our ability. That way, we will know we did our best, no matter what the outcome.
I do not like to fix something more than once, so I try to fix it right the first time. It may take longer, but fixing something twice will take even longer!
A little patience will go a long way. I know patience is something I struggle with almost always, but it pays off! :)
Hang in there, take your time, and do it right the first time.

Just removed my carburetor because of flooding. Take a close look at the float.
Mine was hollow plastic and had gasoline inside, easy to see.
I believe even the foam floats can become saturated with age. Not sure how to examine the foam type.
Someone one here could answer that.
Good luck with what ever the problem.

Just removed my carburetor because of flooding. Take a close look at the float.
Mine was hollow plastic and had gasoline inside, easy to see.
I believe even the foam floats can become saturated with age. Not sure how to examine the foam type.
Someone one here could answer that.
Good luck with what ever the problem.
had the same problem it was a brass float ccspecialties has new in stock

My opinion at this point is that everything is just gummed up. When I took the bowl off, the float was "down". Initially, gasoline was pouring out of the carb, so that would seem to indicate that the float needle was stuck open. When I put it back together gas didn't seem to be flowing at all.

I got sidetracked painting a bedroom yesterday; hopefully I can get the carb off the engine later today (after the second coat...). Then we'll know for sure. Thanks for your input! I'll give the float a good look!

To clarify a little of what I am talking about. The two needles are hollow inside and have small holes in them. These holes need to be clean so the fuel can flow properly. A wire out of a wire brush works good for cleaning out these holes, along with some kind of spray cleaner like brake cleaner.

Only the main needle is hollow. Idle is solid.

On the main, I stick the pointy end in your mouth and try to blow through it. If air comes out the top holes and you can see through all the holes, it's clean.

Success! Thanks for the tip on the wire brush. As it turns out, the main needle was in good shape. The problem was the float needle. BTW - the float is brass. Took everything apart, cleaned it all with parts cleaner and carb cleaner, double checked the float and gave it a whirl. Started right up! This 50 year old tractor still has plenty of life in it!

Matt,
I hope you cleaned that needle before you stuck it in your mouth! LOL! Thanks for the reminder on the idle needle, it's been a while since I went inside a carb.
I usually spray some kind of cleaner in one of the holes, and look at what kind of stream comes out of the other holes. If the streams are full and round looking, I know it's clean.
Way to go Alan! (y)

Back