• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

mgwin: spring project for gardening

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Ok Marty ,you commented on new post,here it is just finished and first run worked fine..Daughter wanted to try hill gardening...Old iron 70-75 M.Wards tractor,3 sp. added 16 hp briggs a few yrs ago..First time the machine has actually been worked,just been to a few shows...Snaps just a little with a straight pipe pulling home made hiller..old disc blades a little extra iron and a bit of welding..I wonder what one would cost today??

Attachments

• 20220415_150742.jpg
    20220415_150742.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220415_150713.jpg
    20220415_150713.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Hiller 3.jpeg
    Hiller 3.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220414_181025.jpg
    20220414_181025.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 53
What is hill gardening? Around here, the hills were made after the plants/crop came up some. Especially for corn. One exception I know of, is planting tobacco. Then the hills were laid off before planting.
My corn is coming up, but not enough to hill it up. I did cultivate between the rows today. Sorry, the rows are hard to see.

DSCF0761.JPG

Marty, some folks believe the roots get more warmth early and hard rains don't usually wash out plants .Most strawberry growers around here use the hilling technique..(at least the ones I've seen)..It's my daughter's plan I'm just the tractor guy but I'm sure it will grow fine...Will it help?? Tell ya' next fall...Can't believe you've got corn up...The U.P. still has snow and we don't normally plant until midMay here...

Not only do we still have snow, it's STILL SNOWING! I'm ready to till, get my bikes and boats out, anything but blow snow at this point! I was making firewood today, and you can see the flakes coming down in this pic, it had just started and we wound up with around 4 inches. But we are losing more than we are getting these days, so that's a plus!

20220416_151101.jpg

Gary,
Not sure about the strawberries in hills here, I have never seen any planted. That is highly possible though. They are planted real early. I have seen some that were covered with some type of material that is plastic looking. I doubt it is plastic though, seems it would burn up real easy under plastic.

The hilling would definitely slow down erosion. I sort of do that in my driveway for when it comes those "gulley washers." I first tried a small ditch to channel away the water, but that did not work too well.

As for my corn, it got real warm for about a week in March. I figured why not try it since it was not raining, and I needed to plow the garden anyway.

Jay,
You live so far north, summer can't make it that far up! :roflol:

Cubs,thanks ! Marty ,daughter use a ground cover that is made of plastic,fine enough to stop weed growth but allows water to soak thru.My garden is small so I just pull weeds old school way....Jay, when the skeeters come remember how nice it was with snow and cold...1 week turkey season starts,by midMay I'll be blugill fishing and mushroom hunting.. but....it's only 23 here this morn....dagnabbit

Back