• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Manual front PTO

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve watley

First I need someone to explain how the pto engages the belts. My 169 seemed to almost stop the blades in a little deeper grass. Today I see the pto is what's not turning. Now today when I went back a few hour later the pto will not engage at all. Not sure where to start. I hope it something simple. I just got done getting all new belts on the deck, figured out and rebuild the Mule drive. Now the pto quit. Please help me understand how this device works.

First I need someone to explain how the pto engages the belts. My 169 seemed to almost stop the blades in a little deeper grass. Today I see the pto is what's not turning. Now today when I went back a few hour later the pto will not engage at all. Not sure where to start. I hope it something simple. I just got done getting all new belts on the deck, figured out and rebuild the Mule drive. Now the pto quit. Please help me understand how this device works.
http://cubfaq.com/mechanical_pto.html

So I can say for sure pto clutch tension on the plates has to be my problem. I can turn pto pulley when pto is engaged and engine off. I tried to turn the three spring screw but they just spin as there is nuts on inside. Is it normal to be able to turn those screws even with my fingers? I assume you guys call the triangle plate the spring. I have a nice Dealer parts manual that came with my tractor. So in see all the parts and there names. Any help would be great. Am I correct is say there is no pressure/spring tension adjustment once the assembly is installed on the bearing. One more question, what size set screw or allen socket to take the screws out. 1/8 is too loose. Metric did not fit at all.

So I can say for sure pto clutch tension on the plates has to be my problem. I can turn pto pulley when pto is engaged and engine off. I tried to turn the three spring screw but they just spin as there is nuts on inside. Is it normal to be able to turn those screws even with my fingers? I assume you guys call the triangle plate the spring. I have a nice Dealer parts manual that came with my tractor. So in see all the parts and there names. Any help would be great. Am I correct is say there is no pressure/spring tension adjustment once the assembly is installed on the bearing. One more question, what size set screw or allen socket to take the screws out. 1/8 is too loose. Metric did not fit at all.
Post a pic of the PTO. The setscrews are 1/4-20. Please read the link I posted and it answers most all your questions. (y)

Post a pic of the PTO. The setscrews are 1/4-20. Please read the link I posted and it answers most all your questions. (y)

Attachments

• 20220526_171815.jpg
    20220526_171815.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
Three views.
I did read through a few of the post on your link. The first one seems to be my problem as well. I not sure if you watch any you tube video, but some posted the disassemble of the pto on a 149. He also has others with a custom wood enclosure for when he use the snow blower. I also have the snow thrower in great condition but have not tried it yet.

Attachments

• 20220526_141033.jpg
    20220526_141033.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
1/4x20 should take a 1/8 allen socket then. I hope he not strip it.
That PTO is so far out of adjustment, it will never work. Time to pull it, check for worn parts and put it back together right. You'll need the adjusting tool to do that.
1653602375362.png

Ok I got the pto off and it was not so hard. I the past owner has had it off too. I do not see the bearing come off too easy and it just seems to need s ok me oil for lube. Please tell me if this is a mistake. Mine had two spring plates past owner put upside down the dome of springs was face inside. And the clutch disk is cracked. The last pic something in middle is cracked. Not sure what it is. I think I might just try Ccss rebuilt pto with the two plates as he described. And send this back to him.

Attachments

• 20220612_152714.jpg
    20220612_152714.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220612_152743.jpg
    20220612_152743.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220612_152748.jpg
    20220612_152748.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
That's the snap ring that the bearing bottoms on.
No need to mess w/that at all.
The bearing is a sealed unit and once installd is locked in place by driving the eccentric collar counter clockwise.

I have an order inn with CC specialties for the rebuilt pto with brake. Does anyone know if that comes with the 3 finger brake disk that is held on with the snap ring. Mine seemed loose around the snap ring and spring washer. Not sure if that is a problem. The mower should be working pretty good once I get this part.

Today I got my nice rebuilt PTO from Charlie at cc specialties. The man is very busy but hive him a chance, you will get your part. I pretty for install by coating the allen lock screws with copper anti-seize. And the surface where it will meet the bearing.
Hope this helps if it ever has to be removed. I have seen lots of post about adjustment when people try to rebuild there own. I wonder if some the problem can ever be from depressing the plates too far with the engage lever?

All done and for the first time since I purchased this tractor. The Hydro, system the cutting deck. And the Mule drive work perfectly. Thanks Charlie for help me out figuring correct adjustment. And mostly for this pto. All I had to do was depressthe springs and line up the clutch disk squares.

Attachments

• 20220625_141423.jpg
    20220625_141423.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
All done and for the first time since I purchased this tractor. The Hydro, system the cutting deck. And the Mule drive work perfectly. Thanks Charlie for help me out figuring correct adjustment. And mostly for this pto. All I had to do was depressthe springs and line up the clutch disk squares.
I'm a big fan of the antisieze compound, too. I also either use a new Allen wrench, or carefully grind off the worn part, not letting it get hot. I've thought about looking for some torx- style setscrews. They would be much more resistant to wear on both the wrench and the setscrews.

Back