• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

making your own yard wagon is easy

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Most of us need a hauler of some kind.I chose wagon over trailer because I can unhook it while loaded if need be. The frame is a typical older rider.The rear end is a stick trans so all levers removed and put in neutral .The frame is obvious but it was scrap from a farm...The front: by switching front wheel axles the steering brackets face fwd.The connecting rod still fits. A swivel point is necessary under the frame and connecting rod from wheel to bracket is from old steering rod(not pretty but functional) ..The tongue is 3/8 flat stock.The bottom purchased new is steel (16ga.) cost $70. The side boards from my wood supply are red oak...The average older mower weighs around 400 lb so this wagon should be good for at least 800 lb.Thats a lot of dirt ,rocks, brush, or firewood.....I' just hate to scrap out metal if I can find a use.....

Attachments

• 100_1321.JPG
    100_1321.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 100_1297.JPG
    100_1297.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 336
  • Trailer.JPG
    Trailer.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 334
I like it. It don't have to be the prettiest if it works!

I've got the frame of a Cub 105 laying in my "parts yard" that I would really hate to scrap. I'm brainstorming ideas of a 6-wheeled wagon made with it.

Hmmm... Good and cheap. That's the song of my people. I use tons of metal that I get for little or nothing from friends. Shipping crates, drops from bigger projects, repurpose from obsolete equipment. Even curbside supply qualifies.

Hmmm... Good and cheap. That's the song of my people. I use tons of metal that I get for little or nothing from friends. Shipping crates, drops from bigger projects, repurpose from obsolete equipment. Even curbside supply qualifies.
Actual cost around 100... blue was all I had without buying more..glad to hear others are "recycling"

Using a Cub.. Nice idea. I made a 4 wheel trailer as well. I too like the idea of unhooking while loaded, I like that all the weight of the load stays on the trailer. What I would do differently was I would not have a steering front front. I would have a solid trailer tongue make the front wheels Caster. Caster wheels in front would take all the weight in the trailer AND let me back the trailer up like a standard, 2 wheel, trailer.

Using a Cub.. Nice idea. I made a 4 wheel trailer as well. I too like the idea of unhooking while loaded, I like that all the weight of the load stays on the trailer. What I would do differently was I would not have a steering front front. I would have a solid trailer tongue make the front wheels Caster. Caster wheels in front would take all the weight in the trailer AND let me back the trailer up like a standard, 2 wheel, trailer.
Tony excellent point but no casters in my scrap pile..I'm waiting for someone to scrap an old zero turn!!

Nice job. Like JP, I have some old Cub Cadet frames that I have been planning to convert into a wagon. Just need to find the time which always seems to be in short supply.

If you just do away with the drag link on the steering, the wheels would swivel just like casters?

If you just do away with the drag link on the steering, the wheels would swivel just like casters?

That wouldn't work so well. The wheels are far too tall to be able to swivel 360 degrees like caster wheels can. They would hit the axle. Plus, caster wheels roll just behind their pivot point, which allows them to face the right way no matter what. The wheels on a mower axle are mounted in line with the spindle pivot point, and essentially they'd just flop every which way and create unnecessary drag.

Proof of this? One of the ball joints in the steering tie rod of my 106 was worn loose a while back, and it popped off while driving. As a result, I lost control of the right side front wheel. With nothing holding it straight, it flopped all around in every which way possible.

Looks like you could haul a small truck with that, Awesome job

That wouldn't work so well. The wheels are far too tall to be able to swivel 360 degrees like caster wheels can. They would hit the axle. Plus, caster wheels roll just behind their pivot point, which allows them to face the right way no matter what. The wheels on a mower axle are mounted in line with the spindle pivot point, and essentially they'd just flop every which way and create unnecessary drag.

Proof of this? One of the ball joints in the steering tie rod of my 106 was worn loose a while back, and it popped off while driving. As a result, I lost control of the right side front wheel. With nothing holding it straight, it flopped all around in every which way possible.
Makes since thinking about it.

Back