• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Majic Jack ????????

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchristensen

displayname
Richard Christensen
Does anybody have any experience with the Majic Jack phone system? I've heard a lot of rumors about it but looking for someone who has tried it.

I have high speed internet and have a spare computer that I would pretty much dedicate to it. It would be on a wireless hookup but I don't want my main computer compromised.

I'm just looking for a phone for the house that I can put a recorder on and give this number too for unimportant things. I use my cell phone all the time and give that number to anyone I want to stay in touch with.

Any thoughts????

If you have good high speed, the MJ will work just fine for ya.
And for 20 bucks a year, it's well worth it, IMHO.
I used mine for 3 years before moving north and never had a problem one with it.
It's actually pretty handy to have as you can take it with you anywhere and just plug it in and it will work on any machine that has a USB port, anywhere ya go.
Of course with with the satellite ISP we have now, it's a crap shoot if it works at all. Grrrrrrrr

I hate to say this being that I work for Verizon (land line, not wireless)...but yes, the Magic Jack is the real deal. We even bought one to try out when I worked in Florida. They do recommend a land based internet (cable modem/DSL) but we ran it on a verizon wireless internet card, and it worked but was a little 'tinny' sounding.

Ryan,
You can actually adjust the sound for the MJ through sound card settings. I was amazed the difference it made with just a little tweaking.

We're about ready to move to VOIP from our cable provider that we get our broadband service from (don't ask where we get our TV service from<font size="-2"> (DISH)</font>. Ryan- do you know, on regular VOIP services, are they setting up QOS on the routers to prevent dropouts on phone calls? That's the one issue I've heard with Magic jack or Vonage - since they don't control your network connection, they can't set the VOIP packets at a higher priority.. <font size="-2">I had to deal with this back when I had a life (and had to get up in the morning)</font>

After doing a lot of research I decided to go with a system called Ooma Telo. It was more $ up front but has more options and is a stand alone system that I can run from a modem or router. I ordered it today from Costco and will let you know how it works when I get it and get it installed. With Costco's return policy I don't have much too lose.

Kendall - Just a month or two ago I consolidated my internet/phone/TV all with the my cable provider. Previously, I had DishNetwork TV and Qwest phone, with only internet through the cable. I saved a little over $80 a month and I'm very happy with the VOIP quality. I do miss a few channels I had on Dish that aren't on my cable (NFL, RFD, etc), but that just frees up a little more Cub time, right?

To close to Obama for me.
shame.gif

Greg:
We'll probably stay with DISH for the TV - best DVR in the industry and they record OTA HDTV too - I am not impressed with the picture quality I've seen from our cable company. I'll finally be able to shut down our 10 year old Panasonic Show Stopper (ReplayTV) when we do the High Def upgrade on the Dish. I can still get a good package deal on the phone and broadband from the cable supplier and save about $40.00 a month there..

in reply to ...
"Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:54 pm:"

Charlie you still couldn't hear me or the 'ol lady hear me either when I call into the house from da shack and I tweaked mine as fer az it'ud go !

JUNK!

Getting RID of DISH and going cable !!
I watch one channel then turn it for a few minutes then go back to the first channel and no signal. That BS has been happening EVERY DAY all year !!!!

Enough of the BAD troubles I've had for 14 years with DISH as this is a MJ thread and I could fill the thread with DISH troubles and rip offs !

Back