• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Machine tools on auction this weekend.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Looking at this milling machine.
Used Grizzly G9748.
You fellas have any experience w/one of these?

Also a near new Ingersall Rand compressor t-30 w/80 gallon tank and 7.5 HP motor 220 volt

324958.jpg

The small parts with that Grizzly mill are worth way more than the mill is. How that mill works for you depends entirely what you intend to do with it. It's a glorified bench top drill press. For drilling smaller holes it would be fine. For milling anything but soft aluminum it would be frustrating.

An IR #30 7-1/2 hp compressor on an 80 gallon tank is $2700 new at Northern Tool, plus tax. I had my eye on that exact compressor for several years at my local Home Depot. Day I went to buy it the store manager pizzed me off, went directly to Blain's Farm and Fleet and bought the exact same Porter-Cable compressor, at the time I was working for a different division of the company that owned Porter-Cable, I had checked with them, F&F beat their price, $1400. I-R at H-D was $1800 back then. No regrets with my P-C, works great for 99+% of what I do. But I wish I had got the I-R.

SON bought a used 5 hp Quincy, 80 gallon tank, pressure lube compressor, a 1964 vintage, was bought new for the tire shop at the Deck truck stop at exit 19, Geneseo, Ill, my old home town. It was sold to a small body shop in Rock Island in the 1980's or '90's, then sold to a small machine shop in Moline about 2005. Son's had to spend some money on it, mostly on the unloader. Place in Moline can get him any part he needs from Quincy next day.

A 7-1/2 hp compressor is marginal for sand blasting. I have a 40# Harbor Freight pressure blaster. Have no idea how guys blast with 5 hp compressor. If I did more blasting I would seriously look at a 10 hp compressor or maybe making some sort of tandem compressor. My 7-1/2 hp P-C runs 100% unless I have a brand new nozzle in the blaster, and then after the first 40# of sand I'm back to compressor running 100%.

Thanks Dennis. Was looking for something to cut some slots with, drill a bunch of holes and replace my Sons Delta drill press I have about worn out and maybe reface some Kohler heads.

Also, that mill is about 20 years old, a discontinued model and 3 phase to boot. A boat anchor unless it goes dirt cheap, which I suspect it will not judging from other tool auctions in this neck of the woods.

Kind of looking to get into some light machining as a hobby.

I'm on a few machinist forums and there are quite a few guys who run that mill ( and the related variants ) some folks do some very nice pieces and even mount servos and a computer program to drive them and get into cnc machining. No, it isn't a Bridgeport, but if you understand the horsepower vs feed vs speed, you can do all right. If you can get it at a good price and just want to do hobby style work with it, I'd bet you'll have all sorts of fun.

I had one guy tell me that it was a $2200 unit when new.

No idea where he came up with that info as the Grizzly site only says that it's a discontinued model, they don't even have a manual for it any more. It's a 1HP 3 phase rig.

from the grizzly site,

Grizzly | SKU: G9748 | Model # G9748

3 PHASE- GEAR HEAD MILLING MACHINE $2,795.00

Of course that is full list price but still!

Back