• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Lubricating Idler Pulleys

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkirk

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Kirk
You can extend the life of your idler pulleys by annually lubricating them with a large animal syringe filled with grease. The syringe can be purchased at most farm supply stores. Insert stylus under the seal lip and inject grease into the bearing. Doesn't take much, only a few cc's.

Attachments

• Idler1.jpg
    Idler1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Idler2.jpg
    Idler2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 177
Another option, which I have used, they make a needle for your grease gun, it has a 3 ish incl long needle, and grease zerk. Just be careful, because it is a needle…. and is sharp….

I just squirt some WD-40 each time I mow. That is about an hour for me. Some will say it’s too light, but frequent application is the key. Just wipe any excess off the bottom of the pulleys before starting the mower.

Another option, which I have used, they make a needle for your grease gun, it has a 3 ish incl long needle, and grease zerk. Just be careful, because it is a needle…. and is sharp….
Where o you get it? My gun needle is heavy enough to only push the ball in on a zerk

Where o you get it? My gun needle is heavy enough to only push the ball in on a zerk

I think I got mine at a farm store (TSC, Orschlein, Rural King)... it's not a tiny needle.... but has worked everywhere I have tried to use it

The one that I have is something like this:

grease_gun_needle.jpg

I've used Mobil 1 synthetic grease with good success, a heavy bodied red grease. I normally keep a couple spare idler pulleys on hand. I had an idler pulley fall off once. No mowing after dark so I missed the shower of sparks from the bearing running on Outer race to inner race after the balls flew out. Then the outer race wore half way through the bolt holding the bearing in place. I laughed all the way through that repair.
Injecting a little grease would really help those bearings live longer.

Start with the usual suspects at the top of the page, our sponsors. Cub Cadet Specialties for new items, R.F. Houtz for used items, Xtreme Motorworks for hitch, and implement items, Kirk Engines for optimizing items, and Cadet Connection for stories and photos.

Back