• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

LT1045 Flywheel issue

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidlwoolard

I have a cub cadet lt1045 model 13ch11ax712.
When starting, flywheel spins and locks up.
I have to manually turn the flywheel past 'the stop' for it to turn over.
Today, I am unable to turn the flywheel past 'the stop'.
I can upload a video, if needed.

I'm looking for the fix for this mower.

Thank you for the opportunity to post and looking forward to the replies.

David

David, the odds are good the compression release isn't working(not a guarantee) ..also possible you have gas in your cylinder that can't compress but if turned it over completely then it's probably not fuel but pull your plug just to check. Try this: instead of rolling engine fwd roll it backwards to compression and try starter.If it whips fast enough it might fire and run but that doesn't fix the problem.If it is comp. release it's tear down scenario.I assume it is a Kohler "courage".It maybe a simple broken spring on release but it is a tear down...I'm also assuming good battery and good starter...

Thsnk you for your reply..
Yes, battery is good and strong. Starter is great. The engine is a Kohler. I'll pull the plug and look for gas tomorrow.
If it's compression, what am I up against and how do I go about resolving?
If it's a tear-down, what's involved and where to start?

Thanks for the advice.

David

I worked on a friend's LT1040 with locked up flywheel. Pulled of flywheel to discover two alternator magnets broke off. Went surfing and found out they could be reglued. Cleaned original glue residue off keeping magnets orientation N/S poles, used JB weld and clamped firmly, let set 24 hrs +. Reinstalled flywheel, ran great. Since then I've run across this problem two more times.

David,be wise and look at an engine break down before you remove any parts.Be sure to take many pics of everything including wiring.obviously if it is the comp. release the engine has to be pulled which also means pulling clutch from bottom.This is not easy fix so if you're not confident don't do it.The engine case has to be split to get at cam where release is located.The spring might be broken, the pin might be stuck that actuates the exhaust valve. I have to say this ,these "courage" engines are well known for failures so prepare for the worst and hope for the best...Again try the back wind to see if it will start that way....If you're still doubtful take it to a dealer for a second opinion.....nobody can run the wrenches for you over the internet....good luck

I haven't had the problem you describe with a Kohler. B&S engines have those symptoms when one or both valves are out of adjustment.

David,be wise and look at an engine break down before you remove any parts.Be sure to take many pics of everything including wiring.obviously if it is the comp. release the engine has to be pulled which also means pulling clutch from bottom.This is not easy fix so if you're not confident don't do it.The engine case has to be split to get at cam where release is located.The spring might be broken, the pin might be stuck that actuates the exhaust valve. I have to say this ,these "courage" engines are well known for failures so prepare for the worst and hope for the best...Again try the back wind to see if it will start that way....If you're still doubtful take it to a dealer for a second opinion.....nobody can run the wrenches for you over the internet....good luck
Probably some of the best advice given to me. I think that it's a cub cadet issue once I get it all back together. A monday morning task for me...

Thank you sir... I think it's way above my paygrade. Gonna close it up after I get the carb kit in on Monday and take it to the experts if the issues is still there.

Dave ,sounds like your under control..Here's a simple cheat,crank it with plug out to clear cyl.don't let plug wire arc!! put plug in, vise grips on fuel line to clamp shut,..It should fire and run until carb is empty.If it does you have proved the point of flooding...can't compress a liquid

Dave ,sounds like your under control..Here's a simple cheat,crank it with plug out to clear cyl.don't let plug wire arc!! put plug in, vise grips on fuel line to clamp shut,..It should fire and run until carb is empty.If it does you have proved the point of flooding...can't compress a liquid
Thank you for your expertise.

Back