• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Looking to buy a new band saw input anyone??

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Been considering the purchase of a new band saw to upgrade from my old Delta unit that takes the small .025 x 1/2" blades. Stopped by Acme tools in Cedar Rapids, yeah I know, that's where Wiley E. Coyotee gets all his anvils 'n stuff and no I didn't bump into him while there!

Anyway, they have a JET model 414459 HVBS-7MN 3/4 HP w/hydraulic down feed, roller cabinet/chip tray cooling system that goes horizontal and vertical on sal till 4/19 for $1169.

Any of you guys have any experience w/one of these? This would me a big jump up from the Delta in as much as the blades are more HD .035 x 3/4" and the capacity is more at 7 x 12".single phase or 110 & comes wired for 110.

DAVE - Not sure what brand my little 4" x 6" bandsaw is, bought it used 30+ yrs ago, could never quite get it to cut square, now it's getting worn enough the blade jumps off the wheels. I was going to buy a larger bandsaw till SON bought one of these, http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-RAGE2-Purpose-Cutting-14-Inch/dp/B000WEORGM

He called raving about it so much I bought one too, was $199.95 at Menards a year & a half ago. It's a great tool for him, because it cuts wood, plastic, aluminum, & steel. I have other tools to cut all those materials.

The Evo makes a weld-ready cut in steel in seconds.

My only caution to you about a bigger bandsaw would be to make sure you can get finer blades in the wider thicker size, if you cut much thin steel, you'll still need 18 TPI & maybe even 24 TPI blades.

Thanks Dennis, that's exactly the same problem I'm having with my 30+ year old Delta.

I already have a chop saw like that one I hardly aver use.

Looks like the Jet #4114459 HVBS-7MW is $1169 w/free shipping plus tax.Nearest Northern Tool store to me is either Rochester MN or Des Moines.

DAVE - You're saying you have an Evolution Rage II that you hardly ever use? They're pretty new to the US market, maybe two to 2-1/2 yrs. I have a Dewalt abrasive chop saw, Dad gave it to me 8 yrs ago. I have NOT used it, don't particularly like all the flying hot sparks, and not NEAR as accurate as the Evo. The Evo is a TOTALLY different and and better saw.

And Evo's US home offices are on the north-east corner of I-80 and Northwest Blvd in Davenport, just a half a block east of the truck stop. Parts and service work would be close for you.

No, Dennis, My saw is a chop saw, not sure which brand, bit I'm not big fan of the sparks either.
Works good though, just a pan to have to lug around and store is all.

Did get some use out of it w/a concrete blade to cut landscape block though.

Here's my project for today hot off the press, paint is still wet!

To go along w/the new band saw when shows up.

285160.jpg

DAVE - The Evo is more like a wood cutting miter saw, only able to cut steel & aluminum as well as wood. NO SPARKS... but the little pieces of steel coming off the blade are hot, safety glasses are a must, and even ear muffs not a bad idea. The secret is ALL in the carbide tipped blade.

My Evo and Porter-Cable wood miter saw share a roll-around steel work table, no heavy lifting needed, either saw ready to work just by plugging into an outlet.

Cutting 1 inch steel square tubing, typical 14 ga wall stuff, cutting time is 3 seconds. The cut ends will be smooth and cool to the touch after cutting. Plus the cut will be straight, and square, no sharp burrs, ready to weld.

Stuff I used to have to screw around with my bandsaw, and sand/grind square on my big belt/disk sander I'm ready to weld right out of the vice with the Evo.

Only reason I haven't had SON sell both the DeWalt abrasive chop saw and my old bandsaw is the fact I do use the bandsaw to cut shapes with in the verticle position. But that still doesn't resolve the fact the bandsaw is really close to being worn-out. The main reason it doesn't cut square is the fact the frame of the saw was machined incorrectly where it pivots. It's not something you can "adjust" out of the saw.

Company I worked for down in Moline, IL had a Do-All 16" x 9", with the stuff we cut with it, all our blades were 4-6 TPI, not really conducive to "Gov't jobs".

Well, The new band saw in in place and up and running. Does a great job. Gave it a workout cutting 60 spikes for an aereator project I just completed.

Anyone know of a source for the water soluable cutting fluid/coolant to use in it. tried TSC and Northern Tool to no avail and Grainger has it at their stores but in 5 Gal buckets or 50 Gal drums!! I would think this stuff would be available by the gal or even a quart somewhere.

Horizontal band saws are great for production cutting, but for the times you want to cut shapes , a vertical machine is the ticket..some horizontal machines can be used vertically, maby a feature to consider for shop versatility.
Best regards

David - To late to tell you now but ALL of the bandsaws are made by the same factory. You paid the extra $$ for the different color of paint and the name.

Dennis - MSC and ENCO have been the same company since 1997, MSC bought out ENCO.
The coolant I'm using I got from MSC on one of their Free Shipping Fridays. I bought 5 gallon and 5 gallon of way oil.
That's the first "coolant" I've bought for the saw, I always used water and Prestone to keep it from freezing.

Ken -MSC and ENCO just consolidated operations about 3 months ago. I got an e-mail everyday from them for several weeks. Get a catalog once a month or more frequently now. They operated as separate companies until then. I used to order from Enco couple times a year.

No problem with the new organization. Spent ten minutes BS-ing with the sales lady at MSC this morning.

You DO realize you posted to a six month old dead topic.....

Yeah I know it was old but the info is there.
All the cheap and even Jet bandsaws are the same build.
MSC bought Enco in '97. I don't see why it took them so long to consolidate but Enco sells the same thing cheaper than MSC.
Enco has the 3/16" water hardening rod I use for 2 bucks ... MSC over $5.
I bought over $300 from MSC the last of October on their Free Ship Friday which came in handy since I bought 5 gallon of Way Oil and 5 gallon of Cutting Coolant.
Back in '99 I bought their 13x40 lathe. Kinda wish I still had it but I traded it to a '89 Cherokee ... both were less than stellar but the lathe was better than the Cherokee !!
Now I've got my Sebastain so I'm happy.

David - How's the metal in it ?
My Turn Pro which was suppose to be Enco's better machine has soft crappy cast iron. The bolt hole that the vise pivot locks down into has stripped out. I drilled/tapped to a bigger SAE size and now it's acting like it's going bad. The next thing to do is drill it out BIG and braze a steel SAE nut into the table for the bolt. China's cast iron seems to have a lot of "filler" in it to extend the melt. I think they add sand to the mix ...
The Enco lathe I had was soft in the follow rest. The jaw adjustment screws stripped out the first time I tried to use it , again "to grainy" looking.
My Grizzly vertical mill has a void in the table way. I noticed a bubble under the ground surface so I picked it with my finger nail and out popped a flake of metal leaving a void looking spot that I believe had sand in it.
All of the aluminum and castiron that I've cast has a very tight grain when I purposely break it to check the quality. I had one piece of aluminum that I cast then milled then polished. There was only one visible pin hole showing that you normally see in cast aluminum when you machine it.

Brian & Ken
The Ellis is WAY beyond my needs, I'm just a hobby guy, not a production shop. So far so good w/the Jet.

I used to haul the TSC tractors from time to time from the assembly point in the Twin Cities and noticed right off that the castings really looked CRUDE!! That is compared to similar parts of say Case/IH skid steers. Used to haul a LOT of those from Wichita, that is till that rates got cut so bad it was no longer profitable.

Here's something for you bandsaw owners to watch out for.
My TurnPro has a plastic coolant tank under it which I keep water and antifreeze in for fluid.
It leaked out in the floor a couple of days ago so I took it out today.
The plastic tank has ribs molded in for reinforcement and right next to one of the ribs in the corner the tank cracked.
I sawed a plastic bucket the right height and put it under it and sat the pump on top of it.
There was no sign of why it cracked but it did !
Maybe temperature change ? It got up to 80* the other day ... 22* this morning !

Back