• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to IH Cub Cadet Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Parts Wanted Looking for a S/G for a 149

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkoenig

In Remembrance 2023
displayname
Jim Koenig Halfway between Harvester, MO and Cadet, MO
#3 son reported that the 149 he has been using to move firewood may need a new starter motor. I doubted that, but he brought it home, and it failed all the FAQ tests, and never budged. It was left out in the rain, possibly with a plug missing from the S/G case, and may have been jumped incorrectly with a jump pack (he has a talent). I have never disassembled one, and would prefer to learn once the tractor is running again, so I am in the market for a good used starter generator, preferably near St. Louis, MO. Maybe a Lincoln, IL Plow Day pickup would be a possibility, and a good excuse to go.

Thanks Gary. Good idea. My Kohler dealer can probably suggest a reputable shop.

I am still open to the idea of a decent used one.

Jim pay attention to local auctions ..If they have older tractors such as sears,simplicity,m.wards.Most of the older ones used similar s/g (not all). Some were a bit shorter and SOME turn in opposite direction. It MATTERS which end of the engine the belt was on...(Experience speaking here)You might buy an old junker for less than a rebuild cost.I've bought 2 that way last one 1 was $7 and worked perfect...

Jim, I should have added : All it takes to test a s/g is a set of jumpers.Hook positive to S(if it has one)but it's NOT the F post(that's gen post) any way ground to the body of s/g .The odds are good it will run.If it doesn't and it turns freely by hand it's probably corrosion on brushes and armature...Still worth owning for rebuild...

It does not turn when connected, and does turn freely by hand. I should open the brush covers, and see what I can see. Maybe a bit of soapstone work will help. I was not going to junk it. The decent used one is because I like spares For quick swaps when needed.

Thanks again Gary.

I checked with a local Cub Cadet dealer and asked who they farmed their S/G work out to. They provided the name and contact info. I took the S/G there, he checked it out, etc.

Thanks Wayne. Another good idea.

This thread may be obsolete by next weekend When I should have a chance to try installing it again. As I was working on it Sunday, the unit started spinning when connected to a battery. I think Gary was right when he said it was corrosion, and I finally knocked it loose a bit.

Back