• FIRST AND LAST NAMES ARE REQUIRED WHEN REGISTERING
  • If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to IH Cub Cadet Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Parts Wanted Looking for a S/G for a 149

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

jkoenig

displayname
Jim Koenig Halfway between Harvester, MO and Cadet, MO
#3 son reported that the 149 he has been using to move firewood may need a new starter motor. I doubted that, but he brought it home, and it failed all the FAQ tests, and never budged. It was left out in the rain, possibly with a plug missing from the S/G case, and may have been jumped incorrectly with a jump pack (he has a talent). I have never disassembled one, and would prefer to learn once the tractor is running again, so I am in the market for a good used starter generator, preferably near St. Louis, MO. Maybe a Lincoln, IL Plow Day pickup would be a possibility, and a good excuse to go.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Jim,a local starter/alternator repair shop rebuilt mine for $80. Price seemed fair, new is around $200. I don't have a lathe to refresh armature sooo...

jkoenig

displayname
Thanks Gary. Good idea. My Kohler dealer can probably suggest a reputable shop.

I am still open to the idea of a decent used one.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Jim pay attention to local auctions ..If they have older tractors such as sears,simplicity,m.wards.Most of the older ones used similar s/g (not all). Some were a bit shorter and SOME turn in opposite direction. It MATTERS which end of the engine the belt was on...(Experience speaking here)You might buy an old junker for less than a rebuild cost.I've bought 2 that way last one 1 was $7 and worked perfect...

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Jim, I should have added : All it takes to test a s/g is a set of jumpers.Hook positive to S(if it has one)but it's NOT the F post(that's gen post) any way ground to the body of s/g .The odds are good it will run.If it doesn't and it turns freely by hand it's probably corrosion on brushes and armature...Still worth owning for rebuild...

jkoenig

displayname
It does not turn when connected, and does turn freely by hand. I should open the brush covers, and see what I can see. Maybe a bit of soapstone work will help. I was not going to junk it. The decent used one is because I like spares For quick swaps when needed.

Thanks again Gary.

wkashner

displayname
wayne kashner
I checked with a local Cub Cadet dealer and asked who they farmed their S/G work out to. They provided the name and contact info. I took the S/G there, he checked it out, etc.

jkoenig

displayname
Thanks Wayne. Another good idea.

This thread may be obsolete by next weekend When I should have a chance to try installing it again. As I was working on it Sunday, the unit started spinning when connected to a battery. I think Gary was right when he said it was corrosion, and I finally knocked it loose a bit.

Latest posts