• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Looking at 1641

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent Penney

I am looking at a 1641 that a guy has for sale. B&S engine with 54" deck. Any experience with these for lawn mowing. I like that it has hydrostatic drive. Appreciate any help.

The 54" was not recommended on that model. The biggest recommended deck was a 48". I would think the 16HP would be underpowered for that large of a deck. Therefore, the engine should be fully checked out since it was possibly working it's tail off to drive that deck.

Find out the service history, also. Those engines were supposed to have the valves adjusted every three hundred hours. I will tell you from mine, it does make a big difference in how they run. It can also make a difference in the engine life span.

I bought a 1641 new in 1992 with 54" deck. I mow 1 1/2 acres. I have never add any problems with engine. It burns no oil and i have mowed grass as high as 6 inches - with deck at full height first pass. It is still running strong today!

Thanks for the helpful information everyone. I thought about it some more and I have decided I am going to stick with my 108 for now and see what I can do to make that work much better. I know this will be helpful for others if they are considering at 1641 in the future.

Back