• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Looked at this today

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubs4lifeofme

20211114_114042.jpg
20211114_114039.jpg

I sat in it, not real easy getting the leg over the hump. 1" clearance between my head and roof. i'm 5'9" . It was running when i got their but quit and wouldnt restart. Snowblower was a qa i believe. barely was as wide as front tires.

Snowthrower is a QA42. That machine is capable of moving a lot of snow. That steel cab adds a lot of weight for traction as well.

This is about the same set- up I have on my 149. The steel cab does add almost enough weight for good traction with chains. I wouldn't want to blow snow without it. Now when I blow snow, the only inconvenience on windy days is that I have to reach up to switch on the wiper. Getting in is a little tricky but, well worth it, you just have to figure out your best way to get in. With a few mods the QA 42 blows snow very well, even the wet sticky stuff. Painted the chute area with graphite paint, installed smaller pulley, and the best improvement was adding rubber flaps to the auger. I would like wheel weights, less weight on the axles then. I just load up my weight box, so far so good.

I had a QA-36 that the mounting plate was widened to fit a 1450, and I narrowed it up to fit on my #72, which only had a tired K181 in it, first pass anywhere was slow and hard on the engine clutch. Was much better with the K241. ALL the snow blowing back on the tractor started taking a toll on the tractor, pto clutch needed more maintenance, frt wheel bearings only lasted half as long due to both weight and water getting into the bearings. I have chains for EVERYTHING except the 982 and the zero turn. Some of the cross chains are really worn. I've found BIG tire chain cross chains on E-Trailer, anybody know anyplace else besides Tire Chains.com? I need something with twisted links, 5/16" or 3/8" diameter, and 17-18 inches between side chains. I probably need 80-90 cross chains, enough to rebuild two chains.

I didnt thing the single stage were that good .

If it's properly setup a QA42 can really move snow. Here's my #2 125 with a tired K301 moving wet March snow back in 2001. The QA42 has the inside of the auger housing and discharge chute coated with graphite paint to make it nice and slippery.

CubSnow01.jpg

CubSnow02.jpg

Here's it is back in February 2014, not action photos but it shows how much snow it has had to clear some years. At this point the engine has been replaced with a David Kirk "Killer Kohler" K301, so it's making quite a bit more hp than the tired old K301 that was in it.

Feb-2014 Snow_01.jpg

Feb-2014 Snow_02.jpg

I really like this photo.

1968 Cub Cadet.jpg

Yes, after my first year using the single stage I thought the same thing. The key is making sure it's ready and kept in decent shape. My old CW36 on the 100 would move snow ok, but it's tired and needs some work. I didn't clean it up or anything, I just greased the joints and went.
The QA42A I managed to score and put on the 1450 didn't blink an eye last year...didn't matter if it was slush or powder. But it's in really good condition, compared to the old one. And now that I got a speed up pulley from Charlie, I'm really excited to see what it does this year...👍😎👍

i have a 451 on my newly purchased 2084, should i look for a speed up pulley for it ?
I don't think you'd need it and there may not even be available...that's a 2 stage blower. I'm not familiar with the MTD made Cub attachments and I'd be afraid of damaging your 451.
If you're having issues, check out Youtube videos of attaching mud flap material to the ends of your blower blades - that would be my first go-to possible solution... :unsure:

I don't think you'll need a speed up pulley for the 451. A two stage snowblower is a whole different animal.

For the record, I do not have a speed up pulley on my QA42. No need for it IMO. For anyone with a QAxx single stage snowthrower, rust on the inside of the auger housing and even more so on the inside of the discharge chute is, IMO, the biggest detriment to performance. Clean that up so the insides are nice and smooth, put a fresh coat of paint on it and then top that with graphite paint and you'll be impressed.

Back