• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Look what followed me home: a K321A replacement engine...NOS?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig , do you charge for your services? Either engine disposition, or comedy?

I did laugh at it. That was funny.

I go to WI Tuesday after the holiday. Would you like me to deliver it?

I really think you should go over to the classifieds and help a 125 guy out with HIS problem.

Summer of '81 Dad had a really tired 10 hp in a 104 as his mowing tractor. I called someone at IH Louisville involved with Cub Cadets and got the name and phone number of Kohler's salesman that called on IH. Think he quoted around $200 for a new complete engine minus muffler, pto clutch & S-G, which was a $300 engine across a dealer's parts counter. I said I'd pick it up, he lived in rural Sheboygan, gave him my work phone number and waited for his call. Month later I get a message on my phone mail, I call him back, engine is done, painted CC yellow, he later cautioned me to pull the engine apart before rebuilding it, it "MAY" have special parts in it, was assembled in Kohler's Engineering lab.
Wife and I had a real nice drive from the Quad-Cities to Sheboygan, had lunch at Pizza Hut, followed his directions to his farm, paid him for the engine an a $50 tip for his work and my 7 month pregnant wife and I headed for home. Dad didn't install that engine for several years. It was still in the 104 he sold at his last auction July of 2006, it was one of 8 Cub Cadet's on the sale bill. The tired 10 hp has now been rebuilt TWICE, and is in the 1965 #70 Dad bought brand new. It was rebuilt right away as soon as I got it and installed in my#72 for 20 years and 1400 hours. It was used at MANY CC plow days.
Every IH dealer had a Kohler engine painted yellow and sometimes black sitting on the parts counter back in the 1960's & '70's. The #70's original engine was rebuilt once by the dealer, 2nd time by Dad as I watched, then replaced with a K-181. I'm not at all sure where the K-181 came from that I took out of the #70, looked like Wheel Horse tin or something.

Thanks for the story Dennis. Love the history, the family, and the longevity.

Mods: can we lose that part about $200 if I decide to move this engine? LOL.

We'll find out later today. Mine is "out for delivery". I think it's about that size too. I'm just hoping it will be able to catch a view of the piston top, if not actually travel over into the cylinder.

I may have Yellow Fever worse than I thought. I found myself grilling my hot dogs in a 23 degree vee pattern tonight, like the tires I want for my 782.

Amazon let me down. No scope yesterday. Now they're saying today or tomorrow(!). That seems like something they should have been able to figure out before it was shipped. I feel like I've been lied to just for a dollar. Would that happen? Sorry, my sarcasm gene is showing.

Go Mike! I always appreciate a guy who spends his money where he sees fit.

Bump for housecleaning:

$1200 you arrange shipping.

$1000 CASH. You arrange shipping. It's a good deal. Let's go over all you get:
A genuine Kohler engine
A new carburetor
A new crankshaft
A new connecting rod
A new PTO basket pulley
A new muffler

Last edited:
I was just PM ing you about this. It would go great in your 147!

Jim, thanks for the thought(really) but this machine has a lot of parts missing,the lift,all the clutch linkage etc.. At this point I need to prove the hydro but it's looking like a junker except for wheels and hydro?

!47 is a great looking model. You know you need to complete it.

Jim,I actually have an engine (14) but the other parts might be an expensive habit and I all ready have that habit but lack the resources...but...I'm slow to commit one to junk!!! Just got a 108 running and driving I picked for parts last week so who knows.

$1000 CASH. You arrange shipping. It's a good deal. Let's go over all you get:
A genuine Kohler engine
A new carburetor
A new crankshaft
A new connecting rod
A new PTO basket pulley
A new muffler
Is the engine still up for sale?

Yes, but you would have to do better than that fire sale price. For that money, I'll prolly just give it to my son who has a 149.

Back