• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Look what followed me home: a K321A replacement engine...NOS?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkoenig

In Remembrance 2023
displayname
Jim Koenig Halfway between Harvester, MO and Cadet, MO
I think I had a good morning.

AA776DED-76A4-495F-9D70-963E3DCF67C3.jpeg
BDDFEAA7-049F-4754-9947-8F4AC2C6AFFA.jpeg

I have been in cryptic discussions about this with a few of you, but I can let the cat out of the bag now.

The carb has a cap over the fuel inlet, but the plug has been run a bit. The muffler appears spotless inside. The muffler lock ring appears to be installed backwards. The crankshaft looks to have never seen a pto. I think I will have to take the head off to satisfy my own curiosity, and for any prospective buyer's peace of mind if I move it along.

DANG Jim - that's a really sweet find. For myself I wouldn't be removing the head. That engine has never been installed and never been run.

Post a pic of the muffler side so we can see that lock ring you believe is installed backward.

Ok, if I leave the head on, does anyone have any experience with borescopes? Northern has one for a reasonable price, but its 9mm, and I doubt that would sneak through the plug hole, and over to the bore.
1630451903864.png

I must admit that I'm jealous of your find and can dream to come across one someday myself! Very nice find 👍🏻

A friend of mine has this one, and I was very impressed with the image quality. The side camera would probably be able to see enough of the bore to confirm whether or not it has been run.

I ordered a USB scope for my laptop. My old eyes need a large screen these days...still bitter about that.

Allen, I lucked into it. All I can tell you is don't forget to search just Kohler sometimes, and don't ALWAYS ONLY search Cub Cadet. The guy was threatening to make a go kart out of it. I had to rescue it from that.

Exhaust lock ring for Harry:

000C2FA5-7C55-4B27-9423-70D277B4A2D2.jpeg

Why have all those teeth of you’re not going to use them, Sharky?

And because I can, clean muffler:
DC386E14-CFD6-41C3-B06B-FC01A33612F4.jpeg

And a clean carb and air horn:
89B84AB9-3C30-4CAE-9526-0E373D3BDEBA.jpeg

And a new starter/PTO basket pulley and a new crankshaft:
F82F82AB-47F0-4B2D-A161-7FD7A63653B9.jpeg

Now where am I gonna find an NOS chassis to put it in?

Last edited:
Does anyone else here remember TISCO sticks? They were essentially AA flashlights with translucent wands at the end, and when inserted in a tractor engine spark plug hole, they might give enough light to allow some one-eyed inspection. We called them TISCO sticks, and pretty much used them as swords, but I assume they were given away by Tractor Implement and Supply Company at meetings my father went to.

They resembled light sabers before anyone had ever heard of a light saber back in the 60’s and 70’s.

Last edited:
The engine sure looks new. But I wonder if someone hasn't swapped out the muffler and exhaust elbow, or maybe painted them. They have been black like the rest of the engine on all the replacement engines I have seen. That would explain the backwards lock ring.

Interesting thought, Brian.

I remember Dad painting his silver about every other year growing up, and I only ever had a new Kohler muffler on mine back when you could get them (in silver), so it looked right to me. It is also possible a p.o. removed the muffler for attempted go-kart fitment, and reinstalled the best he could remember.

Last edited:
Its been a long time, but if I remember correctly the muffler on the crate Kohler that Dad bought in the early 80’s was silver, just like that one is. It was a complete engine, minus the PTO Clutch and the S/G. He moved the PTO and the S/G over and painted the S/G black to match. I think in places, you can still see a bit of the silver…. But there has been a ton of hours put on that engine, so there is a nice rust color to a lot of it……

Scott,

Thanks for the firsthand info.

Well, to me there's no question that engine is new. Someone did install the exhaust pipe lock ring nut backwards. Could the muffler have been shipped separate/loose in the crate box and installed by the PO?

That is certainly possible Harry, either at the dealer (low man on talent totem pole assembling crate motors), or the original purchaser was to assemble. Scott, any memories on that theory?

That is certainly possible Harry, either at the dealer (low man on talent totem pole assembling crate motors), or the original purchaser was to assemble. Scott, any memories on that theory?

I'm pretty sure the muffler and elbow was mounted. I think it was pretty much, pull it out of the box, bolt it in the tractor, install the PTO and S/G, and put oil in it, and it was ready to go. It would have been a 2-3 hour operation from fully assembled tractor, to r&r and back to a running tractor. Ours took a couple weeks, because while it was down, and waiting on the engine to come in, Dad repainted the tractor before reinstalling the engine. There are pictures of this tractor as it looks now, here on the forum. I know that I have posted a few......

Back