• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Loader tractor build - Research & Suggestions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpatterson

displayname
Mike Patterson
Since its the off season for farming and well, I have nothing better to do - figured I would turn my attention to my next project. Always wanted to build an articulated tractor, but I thought about it more and realized it would only be a toy. I don't need another one of those as of yet. Better idea would be to make something that would be used. Loader tractor has always been in back of my mind. Since the new or used compact tractors are insane price, why not use what you have here already!?

I have a 782 frame in the shed as well as I have a Massey Ferguson 1450 parts tractor. Just missing a few things off it. Looking at the Massey frame, it seems to be a lot heavier than the 782 frame (thicker gauge steel). Not to mention the fact I think I would cry if I cut a 782 frame up. Thinking if I lengthen the frame some to give me more space sitting on the seat as well as to give it more stability - it might be a bit better for a loader tractor. Don't know if I would make it as long as a 982 frame - but close. I have a Kubota diesel our of a G1700 tractor I could put in it. I would need to make a supply tank for the loader and mount a pump on it similar to what Matt G. did for his 782 loader tractor. I wouldn't make it that it would run a mower deck, that isn't needed. This tractor has part of the set up for 3pth, which could come in handy for a blade set up maybe in the future as well it has the rear PTO option too. The one thing I do like about this tractor is that it has foot pedal forward & back. Its a paddle board now, I'd see about converting it to two separate side by side pedals though, I don't like the paddle, I find it annoying to use. The G1700 has a similar set up and it isn't comfortable to use for long periods. I have the grill assembly off the 782 as well as the dash tower that I wouldn't mind making fit on this frame as I like the looks of them more than the Massey. I would have to see what I do about hood and side panels, especially if I was to lengthen the frame.

Wondering who here has built a loader from scratch? What issues did you run into when doing it? How did you decide on placement of the loader frame itself? I've looked at a lot of pictures over the years and I see just about everyone has the back of the loader frame where the arms mount just about at the back fenders. I don't really like that look personally. I think they should be pushed forward more - that being said, I'm sure with the shorter frame you don't have a choice, for balance it has to be further back? Is there stuff you did/designed/made that you would do differently?

Looking for input from everyone. This isn't a project that will be done overnight, that's for sure. Want to make sure I think it out and do it right so I end up with a machine that is totally useable in the end and adds to my working "fleet" of Cubs.

Attachments

• 20211127_114458.jpg
    20211127_114458.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 201
  • 20211127_114442.jpg
    20211127_114442.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 20211127_114505.jpg
    20211127_114505.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 20211127_114726.jpg
    20211127_114726.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 20211127_114740.jpg
    20211127_114740.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 20211127_114803.jpg
    20211127_114803.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 181
Another thing.... I would need to figure out how to hook up power steering system to this as well - couldn't imagine a loader tractor with manual steering.

Sounds like great project.

I was in the process of putting PS on my 782D using a 5 port steering valve from a JD 318 garden tractor. You reroute hydraulic from the hydro to steering valve then back to your hydraulic control valve.

Not familiar with a MF 1450. What size is the hydro line going to your control valve?

Is the rear end cast iron? Is so could run the end of loader frame directly to the rear axle like the old regular tractor add-on loader kits did back in 50’s - 60’s.

Bob G.

Sounds like great project.

I was in the process of putting PS on my 782D using a 5 port steering valve from a JD 318 garden tractor. You reroute hydraulic from the hydro to steering valve then back to your hydraulic control valve.

Not familiar with a MF 1450. What size is the hydro line going to your control valve?

Is the rear end cast iron? Is so could run the end of loader frame directly to the rear axle like the old regular tractor add-on loader kits did back in 50’s - 60’s.

Bob G.
Not sure of the size of line. I have not dug out of shed yet to start. Yes, rear is cast. Its a heavy beast!

Why not make an articulating loader like Kelley Birkey built years ago? I wish I had some larger photos of it but this is all I have.

View attachment 147002

View attachment 147003

View attachment 147004

View attachment 147005
Kraig, this would be the first time you let me down! These are ALL the pictures you have!?? :feint:
The concept, I like. Not sure about the engine in the back - seems odd to me, but then again if I had larger pictures to look at ...hint, hint....
Excellent line of sight to the bucket when looking over the hood. That's neat. Be really interested in seeing how the articulation was done!
On another note - I seen a Case hydro drive tractor today for the first time. Think it was a 220? Small, but neat. I would think if those were used in an articulated tractor you would need axle extensions to make it stable? Too bad there wasn't a build thread on this one.
Thank you for the pictures and MORE ideas Kraig.

Les and I have tossed around the idea of building a loader rig based on a 1872 and using the basic design of the DanCo that is on my 147 but with enlargement and mounting mod's to include more foot room and easier access to getting on and off.
But....as with other ideas, that's about as far as we have gotten at this point.

Why not make an articulating loader like Kelley Birkey built years ago? I wish I had some larger photos of it but this is all I have.
I wonder it @taylorbirkey can get any pictures..... that is if they are related.........
Kelly is my great uncle. I spoke to him not two days ago. I'll see if I can get some details on this loader.

Taylor, I was hoping you would comment on this. Thank you!

IH_Thumbs_UP_WHITE-SMALL.jpg

Update! Just got off the phone with Kelly. He is in his 90s now but I tell ya, he is still working 2-3 hours a day in his shop (currently working on adding power steering to a red 782)! I have a few additional details about the loader in question.
  • He said he used two 1450s for the build. One has to have the hydro lift deck.
  • Loader parts are Cub Cadet OEM (seems obv from the pictures); didn't know part numbers offhand — probably just had the parts on hand back when he did the build
He said he's also got a custom built Cub Cadet forklift attachment — the most important thing he's got. Uses it everyday. Saw a walk-behind brick mover at a used lot on the side of the road one day, bought it and turned it into a small forklift.

I'll probably visit him in the spring, so I'll take a bunch of pictures and convey any questions y'all want to know about.

Merry Christmas/Happy New Years everyone.

Very neat! Thanks Taylor. If you happen to have a camera with you the day you see him - would appreciate seeing how he did the articulation pivot joint as well as how he plumbed and setup the steering cylinders and the plumbing/pump for the loader. That would be valuable info for a loader build as well as the articulated tractor ideas. :groupwave:

I hope he is still able to use the tractor in his every day shop work when needed. Always great to see projects like this put to use so much afterwards. I bet his neighbors are envious of him having such a neat, functioning toy errr, tractor!

View attachment 147002

View attachment 147003

View attachment 147004

View attachment 147005

Very cleaver with the engine at rear end. It drives the rear axle though the rear PTO drive shaft and also add weight to counter the loader load. Assume the rear axle hydro input shaft drives a front axle hydro. Would also like to see detail of articular joint and drive line.

Notice in first photo - it looks like oil leaking under the articulate joint.

And I thought the weight box on my loader stuck out a bit far on the DanCo.
Ya have to be extra careful moving snow when working in close quarters, more so w/that rig.

Lol, I would freak wife out if I did snow removal with that. I get as close to vehicles as I can. She would be in front window watching me crap'n her pants i was going to her SUV.

I built mine on a cub 149 using plans I purchased from P.F. Engineering, Amherst, MA. I followed the plans pretty close, the only change I recall was I used a heavier steel tubing for the backhoe beams since I already had them. Norm with I Save Tractors has a video series on YouTube building this same project. I also added a foot control for the hydro. Comes in handy for a front end loader.
20180824_150847.jpg
20180824_151038.jpg

Back