• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Listed 1811; rpm/governor issues

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Detweiler

displayname
edetwe
Looked at an 1811 to buy today. It was in good condition overall. Engine had 1463 hrs. 50 in. deck. Would of purchased except the throttle was way out of sorts. 1/4 inch of movement up from lowest idle position, had engine at an rpm ready to engage PTO. 1/2 inch up from lowest position had engine racing like I've rarely experienced. Was afraid to go to full throttle with owner standing there, expecting engine to blow. Governor issues I believe. Owner purchased 7 years ago and always just mowed with it on 1/4 throttle, he said. I'm not experienced at trouble shooting these issues, any advice would be appreciated. Could it be an easy fix/carb adjustment? Is it an internal engine issue possibly. Nice tractor, otherwise. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The governor gear has probably failed. If the oil filler tube and cap are removed it, should be visible. If it's not there, it's probably in pieces in the bottom of the oil pan.

Most likely the governor gear has fallen apart or out. To fix, the entire engine must be torn down completely to get to it. More time and cost efficient to find a good engine to replace and part the other one out.

Seller wants $400 as is. Whats average price on a used M18S engine. Any idea. Thanks

Last edited:
One other aspect when adjusting the throttle, was the rpm fluctuation. Rpms worked with a slight/noticeable delay of increasing or decreasing a few seconds before evening out to the constant speed indicated by the new position of throttle lever. Something to consider. I'm really not considering tearing into a internal rebuild of this engine if purchased; replacement or external fix, yes. Appreciating all coments!

Gasket set and a new governor gear.....two night project, one to tear down/clean up, one to reassemble. Then go play.......

M18s aren't that bad yo work on.

Latest posts

Back