• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Linear Actuators

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayF

displayname
Baker6x6
Has anyone here used a 12V Heavy Duty Linear Actuator as a deck/sleeve hitch lift?
I'm considering buying a Heavy Duty (225 lb push/pull) Linear Actuator to control my home-built sleeve hitch.
I need a little over 4" of total throw- so I'll probably go with a 6" to be sure I have plenty of lift.
I will use a polarity-reversing 3-position toggle switch where the "lift" switch on my dash would normally go.
If it works well, I may add one as a deck-lift as well.
I could probably just use one actuator to do (lift) both at the same time... connected to the reach-rod I fabricated for my sleeve hitch.

1589427587933.png
1589427605188.png

Depending on how you mount it and design your hitch, 225 lb lifting capability is going to be marginal or not enough.

If I were doing this, I would get another rockshaft from a hydraulic lift tractor and mount the linear actuator similar to how the factory did it on the optional electric lift on this series. Perhaps Kraig has some pictures?

I would recommend adding a spring assist to your tractor if you do this (or even if you don't), as the size of actuator that will physically fit to be able to function is not really strong enough for the job. The original ones IH used are honestly pretty marginal and have some weak spots.

I have one I installed about 10-15 years ago on my 106 - It is for my tiller attachment. the lift handle was very difficult to operate even with a spring assist because my FEL controls are too close to the lift actuator. Lots of skinned knuckles! It has worked great for years. I used the same switch I think...its self centering.
If I can get to it before the rain hits tomorrow I can send details of what I did and used. The linear actuator was from and auction - 20 dollars at the time not sure of the stroke but I can measure. it has no problem lifting the tiller with extensions and it is as fast as when I used the handle.

I came upon this while looking for spring assist information. I realize it’s two years old, and before I joined, but I’m interested in how either of you guys mounted the linear actuator. I purchased one a couple weeks ago to do this very thing. I’d appreciate any feedback and photos you have available. Thanks in advance!

Back