• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

LEST WE FORGET

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Victory at Sea comes to mins as well, another classic.
The carrier action is unbelievable at times.
One heartbreaking clip shows an SBD landing with the rear gunner shot up so bad they did not even try to remove the remains and held the service right there on the fantail and pushed the plane over the side.

Yes, "Victory as Sea" is another good one. I remember that bit where they pushed the plane over the side. :(

Band Of Brothers. Watch the interviews with the Men that lived the war.

I remember watching Band of Brothers after reading a debate online about what the best television series of all time was. I was only one or two episodes into streaming it from HBO when I went and bought the complete box series knowing it was a collection I wanted to own.

Seeing the interviews with the actual veterans that you are seeing portrayed was so powerful. I got chills thinking back to those. I'm due for a rewatch of that series.

Wow do I feel foolish... I googled the book to order a copy only to recognize the cover.

Not only do I own the book but I actually have read it.

New plan:

1. re-read the book
2. re-watch the series

My Uncle Bill was a Torpedoman's Mate in WWll in subs patrolling the South Pacific and Yellow Sea. He never wanted to talk about anything connected with the war. My grandparents and aunts said he came back a changed man. I tried to get something out of him about his experience being ex-Navy myself; maybe a tape recording to which he declined. I asked him at least what was it like to be on watch when charging batteries. He said: "You were scared; scared you'd see something or scared you'd miss something" His kids, my cousins, knew little or nothing about his military experience. They thought the insignias and medals were just "jewelry" along with the Japanese souvenirs . When I explained their significance and the hell behind them, I could sense aha moments and maybe forgiveness. He wasn't an easy guy to live with.

Band of Brothers by Stephan Ambrose.
He wrote a bunch of books on the subject
All are must read in my opinion.

Another HBO series, The Pacific is another must watch..
Absolute brutal battel scenes,
Also a trilogy in print I believe.
Just google Eugene Sledge
I have shelves full of WWII books, all are NON FICTION.
I can put together a list if anyone is interested.
Found most of them on Half dot com before E-bay took that over.
Most are new or only read once or twice hard covers.
Many I have given to the local library as well.

Have you come across Clay Blair Jr's "Silent Victory"? It's a very detailed account of submarine warfare in WWll. It's long on history and with some Atlantic but mostly Pacific forays. Aside from the technical problems they faced, I got a seat of the pants in the conning tower drama of what my uncle and crewmates went through.

Another book from the perspective of Allies is "Ivan's War". It's a detailed rendering of the Russian experience facing the Germans. Those poor guys died as much from their own army as the enemy.

My Dad was on a destroyer all over the So. Pacific(and an Uncle) 22yrs later on a destroyer I'm in same waters,My Grandson,a Seabee is stationed in Guam....I guess we are just supposed to be there.....

Several good series recently on PBS might interest a few.
Fiction, though some based on actual events I believe.

Line of Separation is one
About a village in Germany that got split down the middle when the Russians and US troops met near the end of the war.
2 seasons have been aired and a 3rd is soon to come.

World on Fire.
Englishman escapes from Poland w/Jewish child in tow.

Resistance
Underground operations in France

I watch on PBS Passport

For those that don't know and the ones that don't care!
Today is Flag day and the 246th anniversary of the US Army!
1623714375679.png

David,I'm very fortunate to have a good friend who is 97 and still functioning very well.He served 2 yrs in the Phillipines 3months of he spent in the hospital with malaria. He was a front line soldier against the Japanese..I've heard all his stories many times when he tells them to others it is awe inspiring to know what these soldiers went thru.After that come home,get a job,raise a family and remain humble. Another friend recently retired from the Army,said the other day "it seems everything I fought for and believed in is crumbling away"

David,I'm very fortunate to have a good friend who is 97 and still functioning very well.He served 2 yrs in the Phillipines 3months of he spent in the hospital with malaria. He was a front line soldier against the Japanese..I've heard all his stories many times when he tells them to others it is awe inspiring to know what these soldiers went thru.After that come home,get a job,raise a family and remain humble. Another friend recently retired from the Army,said the other day "it seems everything I fought for and believed in is crumbling away"
I did not fight (thank God) but I feel the same way that my three years was just a waste of my time.

I can still remember the black out curtains on our windows the sounds of the test sirens The soldier knocking on our door to say my Uncle had been wounded and is in the hospital the radio broadcasts of how the war in Europe was going and the end of wwII and all those that came home. Today I cannot recognize the Country we have became. It is like the Third Reich all over again only here.

Back