• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Leaky gas tank

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt
What soldering process did you use? ( electric handheld gun or old school heat sink type? )

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff-

This ancient thing my dad has that's basically a 1" square x 3" long copper block with a wedge-shaped end and a handle.

Kinda like this?
217608.jpg

Noah used this one to solder collars on the unicorns.
Jeff: I've got a tank here that's solid, has a repair at the outlet, doesn't leak, and I'll trade it even for your "screwed up" one. It looks dirty inside, but it seems to be solid dirt. While I'm here, I'll mention that I'm in favor of sediment bowls as opposed to the in-tank filters on the wide frames. I'm also dropping a couple .50 cal. lead balls in the tanks to keep things stirred up. Vibration has to be good for something!

I'd forget repair. I'm sure there are many folks on this site that would have that tank as a spare. That's a fairly common tank, I think I have a dozen of them. Try sponsors first and if that's not cost effective try placing a want ad on this site. When buying from a sponsor you generally know what your getting. If the budget is tight and you go with an add be sure to ask questions before you buy. A rusty gas tank can be a major safety issue.

I love that old soldering iron. I have a decent collection of older hand tools. Brings back a bunch of memories of my grandfathers garage/workshop. Now if I can only find someplace that sells gas and oil scented air fresheners.

On the tanks, the ones I have are for future restoration projects.

Mike-
When I was at the local Fleet Farm last week I saw some Hoppes #9 air-fresheners hanging on a display.

Anyone who's shot or cleaned guns knows THAT smell!
happy.gif

Art, I know that smell quite well. I may have to check that out. I think I'd prefer a MMO scented air freshener however.

Kraig-
They may be in some other department also, but the ones I saw were hanging on the edge of an "end-cap" display in the automotive dept. I think it was near the (automotive) light-bulb displays.

Frank,
Sounds like a deal, thank you very much. I'll take it off and let it "vent". Maybe it'll be ready to mail next week.

Jeff

Leaky Gas Tank Revisited
The BOOMERANG Tank:
Back from Pennsylvania:
board-post.pl

board-post.pl

Getting a bath:
board-post.pl

After an overnighter in electrolysis tank:
board-post.pl

Cleaned up well:
board-post.pl

This wasn't the way to go:
board-post.pl

This is an epoxy that my neighbor had given me. Not sure what it is - seems to have bits of glass in it. Needs to be mixed a small bit at a time.
board-post.pl

Smoothing over:
board-post.pl

board-post.pl

board-post.pl

This tank, as Jeff can attest to, is clean as a whistle inside. This rust was on the outside, near the strap clamp. My best guess is that years ago the strap got tightened hard enough to crack the paint, letting moisture collect.

Who says big boy's don't cry?!
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
Good thing that Archive Bug isn't out here where I can squash it!!!
219445.jpg

219446.jpg

219447.jpg

219448.jpg

219449.jpg

219450.jpg

219451.jpg

219452.jpg

219453.jpg

219454.jpg

Frank, nice job!

I hate that archive bug...

<font color="ffffff"> . . . . . . . . . . . . . .</font>
219458.gif

Frank C

Where`s kentuck lol.You have been a busy boy also.That looks
thumbsup.gif
( worth a try)
old.gif

Don: I was hoping that particular pic would draw KK away from his fishing pole. This was easy/fun experiment/work. Also, kind of a riddle as to why this tank rusted from the outside when it's so perfectly clean inside. I'm going to finish it up with a nice paint job, install in on Penney (Hi, Steve Mitchell) and run it next summer to see if it stands the strain. My tractors are ALL works in progress!!
bouncy.gif

Nice work Frank
beerchug.gif

That tank cleaned up nice ( except for the rust area). The patch job smoothed out well too.

Also glad to see the USPS didn't use the tank as a wheel chock
lol.gif

Jeff: (another pre meditated post)
happy.gif

Got your email. This is the stuff I used to try to clean the inside of the tank you just got:
219638.jpg

It went in clear (on the left) and came out brown. Probably several more treatments would really help the inside of the tank, but that's why I say I really like a sediment bowl - good gas, some MMO, and keep the sediment bowl clean!

Right on! That's where I found this, at Maine Potato Growers, our local (32 miles away) Ace Hardware. They also sell Craftsman Tools. Go figure.

Back