• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

? Leaking Front seal on 20 Mag

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssheils

displayname
Steve Sheils
I've got a 2072 with the 20 HP Magnum motor. It's got 1088 hrs on it so probably on borrowed time. I'm assuming original hours. Getting oil under tractor from front of motor. Have not gone poking around much yet but I'm expecting the front seal to be leaking. Not much oil but it's leaving it's mark on the garage floor. If it is the front seal what can I expect?

1. Throw the motor away?
2. The seal is changeable without pulling or splitting motor?

Or are there other options?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve - We just went through this a few weeks ago with someone (can't remember who?) but clean it off good. You'll need to pull the front and hood off.
Clean it then pull off the electric PTO and clean it again. Take a small hook or I think it was Donald said he put a small sheet metal screw into the seal to pull it with pliers.
Look to be sure ALL the seal is out. Clean it again.
Lube the rubber on the new seal and put it back in tapping it around the diameter to seat it.
Then you'll need to reset the "air gap" on the PTO. I don't remember if it was 10 or 20 thousandths.
Not a big job to do just dirty.

Gotta run or I'd find the air gap for ya , do a search and you'll find it.

Whew ! Sugar crash ...

Start Here and go "Next" near the top to advance to next page.
Gary Smyth was the one doing it on his cub.

Good advice Ken (as always!) I prefer to clean the seal bore well, no oil at all, the install the seal dry on the outer surface. I like to very lightly peen the seal in once I know it is "square" in the bore.

Mag twins were known for spitting out the crank seals. Should that problem repeat, or as a precaution, make sure the breather hose is not plugged too. It happens....mud wasps etc.

Quilting party Charlie !
err.gif

Back