• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Larger cylinder on 149

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlittrell

displayname
randy littrell
Could I put a larger, longer stroke cylinder remote mounted on my 149 if I added additional fluid volume. I am fairly sure the larger volume will work with a larger cyllinder, wasn't sure of the power or speed or the cylinder. Thanks in advance!!

Randy

At face value, yeah - sure but, how long? how large? and most importantly, where & why?.
Well, thinking about a small cherry picker on the rear and thought a hydraulic cylinder on it would make things easier on me. Really hadn't put pencil to paper yet, wanted to see if it was a possiblity first. I have a loader on another tractor, but it doesn't work for all situations. I can't lift much of anything anymore so I try to find ways to do what I need to do.

Randy

My 149 runs the 2” bore x 8” stroke cylinder on my dump trailer fine with no additional fluid volume. A double acting cylinder only needs enough volume to displace the area of the rod. As the cylinder extends and retracts, oil goes into one end and returns to the reservoir from the other end.

Well, thinking about a small cherry picker on the rear and thought a hydraulic cylinder on it would make things easier on me. Really hadn't put pencil to paper yet, wanted to see if it was a possiblity first. I have a loader on another tractor, but it doesn't work for all situations. I can't lift much of anything anymore so I try to find ways to do what I need to do.

Randy
I know quite a few folks were tapping into the hydraulic system to operate lifts, but my memory says many tapped into the charge pump side and were disappointed with the lack of flow & pressure. There had been quite a few diagrams displaying the hydraulic circuit, a few from the manuals, this should help you as a guide. The slickest setup I remember was a separate pump mounted at the rear of the transaxle and it used the same oil. This supplied much higher psi too.

I know quite a few folks were tapping into the hydraulic system to operate lifts, but my memory says many tapped into the charge pump side and were disappointed with the lack of flow & pressure. There had been quite a few diagrams displaying the hydraulic circuit, a few from the manuals, this should help you as a guide. The slickest setup I remember was a separate pump mounted at the rear of the transaxle and it used the same oil. This supplied much higher psi too.

I had planned to do away with the cylinder underneath and add longer hoses to a larger cylinder. Keep using the control valve it came with the keep it simple.

Randy

Randy, I have been looking at the same thought for a 128 that's in process.I have also been seriously studying elec cyl lifts.Even many of small ones will pick around 300 lbs..Deere comes to mind they used elec cyl lifts for decks yrs ago.. Pricey maybe but no hoses either...I haven't decided and it's a long winter thought...

Wouldn't it be just as easy to put a sleeve hitch on and make some sort of lift to attach to that? That way you could continue to use the same cylinder and if you want later re attach a deck?

Or make your cherry picker but hook it to a sleeve hitch lift linkage? Just a thought.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to put a sleeve hitch on and make some sort of lift to attach to that? That way you could continue to use the same cylinder and if you want later re attach a deck?

Or make your cherry picker but hook it to a sleeve hitch lift linkage? Just a thought.
I have several and don't mow with any of my older cubs. I don't think a sleeve hitch is gonna do what I want, looking at more like an engine hoist in size. Have a front loader for other things, but it won't do everything.

Randy

Randy - I pull my Pronovost P-503 dump trailer with my 982, the two make a real nice combination for hauling most anything. The dump cylinder is a 3" x 10" 2-way if I remember correctly, most " normal loads the 982's hydraulics lifts without a problem. But 10 years ago when I was re-landscaping around my house I was hauling heaping loads of crushed granite, heaped above the 6 inch added side boards, think I was aa little over my 3000# load limit, the hardest loads I lifted/dumped were heaped loads of dirt, mixed clay and black dirt with some moisture in it. I loaded the cart with the loader on my Super H, I'd set the bucket on a 4x4 on the empty cart, trip the bucket, then set the loaded buckets on the pile in the cart, tailgate open, dirt piled 2 feet over the. Sideboards, to lift it I had to back-up and shove the hydrostatic lever forward, the jolt was enough the 982 would lift it. I hauled
Over 15,000# of dirt in an hour. Five 3000# loads.
I would think you could run a pretty good sized cylinder with a Cub Cadet, might have to over-fill the transmission but if your cork gasket and axle seals are good, should cause no harm.
I tow my cart off my Cat O to sleeve hitch adapter on my 982, gives me a tiny bit of extra dump angle and with those really big loads hanging off the 3-point I have had the front wheels off the ground numerous times. If your cherry-picker is rear mounted plan on adding lots of front end weight.

Randy - Another idea since Cubbies are just mobile powerhouses on wheels, it's easy to mount a second hydraulic pump, a really BIG one to run with the front pto, big enough to use all the horsepower you have. A 3 to 5 gallon reservoir should be big enough to keep oil temps in line, pick out how many circuits you want, one, two and three are easy, but Three in one valve body does get a little expensive. You could mount outriggers, booms and lift arms, clamshell buckets, anything you can think of.
I've used my first loader so much I got a second tractor & loader, and the Stan-Hoist loader has so many welds on it repairing cracks & breaks, that I bought a really nice IH #2000 loader, hyd lift, hyd dump on the bucket, a 70 inch wide bucket if I remember right. Be great for snow, and the square or rectangular lift arms are so much stronger than the pipe on the Stan-Hoist. About 4 years ago I saw a really sharp Super M with a really great shape Stain-Hoist loader like the one I have, luckily it was gone before I saw it, I would have bought it, tractor & loader, was only up around the Wisconsin Dells, 53.3 miles per Mapquest, I could have run it home, 3.8 hours.

Mike, was it Craig DeLong's setup? Here's some photos and text from some of his posts about it from many years ago:

I have just added Aux. Hydraulics to a 147 by
connecting a 4 gal. per minute pump to the output shaft of the hydro. Seems to work quite well so far. I replaced the tin cover on the rear housing
with a 1/4" plate and mounted the pump on the rear of it. Hyd fluid is drawn out of the rear assy., thru a filter and into the pump. Rear housing is
acting as the tank and after going thru pump and valve, fluid is dumped back in the rear thru another fitting in the plate. Its a bolt on unit that fits
quite well under the seat but you have to remove some of the tin in the under-seat compartment. If anyone knows any problems this can cause the
hydro ....please let me know. I'll try and post a photo if I can figger it out!
C. DeLong
Well thanks guys, had the idea in my head for quite a while now, finally got around to working on it. Pump is from Northern, can get quite a few
differant volumes-pressures, all mount same. Valve is three spool eaton 6 gal. per minute. Filter mount is off 85 Ford 6.9 diesel fuel filter, ports
rebored and retapped, fitted with napa 1244 hyd filter (for small size). Pump is coupled with hollow shaft bored 5/8" hydro end and 1/2" with key
slot and set screw on pump end.
Whole arrangement is quite simple to build.

16621.jpg

16623.jpg

16624.jpg

16758.jpg

16759.jpg

Back