• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Kubota B600 Gear Reduction Starter

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhately

displayname
John Hately
Morning all, I've heard about Gear Reduction starters for my SGT 1572 Diesel. Can someone explain why these are beneficial please? Do they add more torque, or speed compared to the OEM starter? I'd love to get a Part # and anyone's experience please.

Godspeed
John

Morning all, I've heard about Gear Reduction starters for my SGT 1572 Diesel. Can someone explain why these are beneficial please? Do they add more torque, or speed compared to the OEM starter? I'd love to get a Part # and anyone's experience please.

Godspeed
John
They spin the engine faster, which makes for easier starting.
I sell'um.

1611848652066.png

I added one to my 1512 and it made a huge difference starting in both cold and warm temperatures. I used to have to plug in the tractor heater or connect a battery booster pack to the tractor to get it to start with the original starter in the winter. This was with the tractor in a unheated but attached garage. Using the gear reduction starter I started it last weekend with it sitting outside in a covered wood shed. Temps were 9 degrees overnight and hit a high of 15 when I started it.

Upgrade! You will never question it!

I bought a 782d with one already on it. So I cant compare to OE. But it amazing how well and fast it dose spin it over.

Gear reduction starter, good glow plugs, glow plug relay upgrade, second ground cable to engine block, and biggest L&G battery made.

Don't be afraid to lay on the glow plugs either....15 seconds summer...45 seconds plus in winter. Some say Kubotas start best cold if you crank them one or two revs to get a little cold fuel in the cylinder, then plug the heck out of them...warms the "pre-charge" and the cylinder at the same time.

Based on the 782D Cub, agree with everything above except...

Even though CCC had issued a bulletin for 782D, I have found the extra ground cable did not make any difference with the OEM starter. There is already #4 ? cable running directly from battery negative directly to engine block behind the air filter. There is also another cable at the block that goes to the frame.

Replacing the glow plugs with the NGK Y103 12v plugs glow faster and hotter. I believe the OEM plugs run risk of burning out if glowed too long.

When I did my upgrade, I ran a 8 AWG wire from the relay to the #2 plug instead the #1 plug.

The reduction starter and a largest U1 battery with at least 350 CCA rating is the way to go first. Never have to look back.

Unfortunately I do not have the privilege to owning a diesel SGT... heh

Back