• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

KT17 Fuel Pump Replacement

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjames

displayname
Bill James
I'm getting ready to replace the fuel pump on my 682. Any tips on this procedure with engine in tractor? Any other parts needed besides the 52-559-03-S fuel pump kit? Looks like some engine tin needs to come off.

Yepper, it's called a Service Manual.
biggrin.gif

I have both the KT17 service and owners manuals and the 682 service,owners and parts manuals. None of them mention this procedure with engine in tractor.

Bill,
Some people may flip over this,but here what I done. pulled old pump off put new pump on started it checked for leaks. Ran fine couple days (or months) later was fliping threw the book and saw fuel pump section and like what your saying it didnt show much if any @ all. Hope this helps. Jim

The servive manual for both the Kohler Engine and the 5-9 series tractors are very skimpy.
3/4 of teh book talks about Trani rebuilds and I have the Hydro so it does me no good. In fact I was looking for the 'Fill' plug on the hydro and couldn't get info on that and what is considered "full".

Bill James: I recommend replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric unit. Kirk Engines [sponsor above] sells one that delivers 7 gallons per hour at only 1-2 psi "perfect for Kohler or Onan engines" to quote their blurb. I'm using an aftermarket automotive pump rated at 7 psi without any additional regulator and I haven't had a problem with it. Having the carb's fuel bowl full really helps get a fast start.

If the original pump is working properly. Should the Check valves keep gas from running passed the pump if the engine is off?
There's a petcock shutoff on the tank, but just for an example. If there was no shutoff, should I be able to take the gas line off the carburetor and not have gas gravity feed passed the Fuel pump?
Right now I have the issue where, with the Petcock on, I am getting gas passed both the fuel pump and the Needle valve in the carb. I can fill a Cylinder with gas in a few hours.
Carb Rebuild is on it's way. The Float is not bad, The float was also set as it should be ( level with the (housing) and the Needle Seat is nice and clean, my guess is Ethanol gas has beat up the rubber Needle valve tip. I was surprised that the gas can get past the Fuel pump.

Back