• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

KT17 Breather Replacement

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjames

displayname
Bill James
I have both the owners and service manuals for the KT17 but very little is mentioned on replacing the breather.

Any tips on this procedure? Do I need to remove the intake manifold?

Decided to just tear into it. Got the old one out and it's the old umbrella style. So far I've only broken the rubber tube that goes to the air cleaner and both the upper and lower gaskets on the breather. The new breather did not come with any gaskets and I don't have a new tube. So it looks like I will be down for awhile.
bash.gif

And I need a new mesh filter, which also was not included with new breather.

I used a piece of coarse scotchbrite for my mesh breather.

Parts came in on Fri and I finished the job today.
I was able to replace without removing intake or exhaust manifolds, just needed to remove breather mounting stud to have enough room. The hardest part of the job was removing old gasket material in the hard to reach area. Seems to be operating properly and hopefully it will eliminate the problem with the rear seal blowing.

Parts needed-
52-035-02-S BREATHER ASSEMBLY - 14.95
52-055-01-S Gasket - 2@ - 3.22 ea
231419-S Breather Filter - 3.74
25-326-06-S HOSE, BREATHER - 8.37
52-032-04-S Breather Seal - 6.70

This was the reason I got my 2072 for FREE! PO wasn't knowledgable enough to know the fix. This thing basically pumped oil into the air cleaner. PO thought it needed a rebuild and wanted it gone with only 1100 hours on it. I brought it home, picked up the $15 part on my way and it was purring like a kitten ( well a tiger kitten) the next day.

Now the lack of maintanence to the rest of the tractor is another story. But I'm going to try out the freshened up 60" Haban this coming weekend! I'm Super excited! (Pun intended)

also, the ethanol gas beats up the Fuel pump rubber and Needle valve rubber in the carburetor.
Check the Dipstick for Overfull crankcase caused by gas getting past the carb. I just a 782 this Sunday because after I got the machine running for this guy, a month later "it's blowing oil out of everywhere. Come get it, it's yours." I get it home, the oil smells like gas, the dipstick reads very high. I chaneg the oil and fire it up. runs fine. No oil leaks. Closed teh petcock, let it run itself out of gas. DONE

Back