• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Kohler K341 rebuild/ different Typs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaumann

displayname
Martin Baumann
Hello Everyone,

my Kohler K341 in my Cub Cadet 1650 starts every time good, but it burns oil and smokes black.
So i changed the ignition point with feeler gauges and the spark plug. Now its a little bit better with the smoke.
Is there a option to check the compression? So is the compression test bad i will rebuild the kohler.
I know the 1650 worked hard in the USA before i restored them here in germany.
In summer i use the 1650 to mowing, in winter to snow plow. Every year i change the oil.

IMG-20171210-WA0003.jpeg

I found a K341 hear in germany. So i have the idea to bought this secound engine rebuild them and change both.
But is see some differents between the engine s. For example my engine is without an fuel pump and the oil dipstick looks other.

Thats the engine i found (doesn t run):
K341.JPG

K341_1.JPG

K341_2.JPG

K341_3.JPG

K341_4.JPG

I hope somebody have some informatins for me.

Thanks Martin

Make sure the mounting base is the same. You can remove the fuel pump and block the hole off or just leave it in disconnected. Make sure the PTO shaft is the same also. Dip stick shouldn’t make a difference.

Black smoke is usually rich fuel mix, bluer smoke indicates oil. I would suggest a carburetor kit and new air filter for a beginning. There really isn't a compression test as these have a compression release for starting the engine. The engine manual does show a vacuum test when running to indicate engine health. What weight oil are you using?

That oil pan is wrong for your 1650
However you may be able to swap pans with the one you have now in the runner.
Check the tag on it, should be an AQS designation that your replacement does not have.
Good luck!

FAQ #s 5 and 64 may be useful to you in the below link:

http://cubfaq.com/questions.html
Good luck with the project! I love rebuilding engines-especially when they first start up again.

That PTO end of the crankshaft concerns me. I hope it’s not 3/4” diameter. You could reuse your crankshaft if the block will fit, and the crankshaft is salvageable, but then the tractor wouldn’t be in service during the rebuild.

49EB3128-CB2D-4D1B-ACF2-54867037F949.jpeg

Don’t know how far along you are , so offer this experience with k241. I got it. Used. It smoked. I change the oil and put in the Kohler brand 30 wt. I use to pull it in competition and did very well .
I using that oil and it stopped the smoking . Between working it hard and the oil additive,loosen up the rings to seal better ,only my opinion
try it might work for you a cheap fix if it works . If it worn out then that’s that.

Black smoke is usually rich fuel mix, bluer smoke indicates oil. I would suggest a carburetor kit and new air filter for a beginning. There really isn't a compression test as these have a compression release for starting the engine. The engine manual does show a vacuum test when running to indicate engine health. What weight oil are you using?
Ok, in Summer i drive SAE 30 and if the winter very cold i change to 10W30.

On my engine i found the Serial number: 9327151. Does somebody know with this number which Kohler Typ it is? The rest of Kohler decals is missing.

Quiet line engine for that Cub should be k341 aqs , the s is short height oil pan I think , or for crankshaft . q is for quiet I think
im just going from what I remember , so do your homework on it and tell me what it supposed to mean ! Ok !
merry Christmas

That PTO end of the crankshaft concerns me. I hope it’s not 3/4” diameter. You could reuse your crankshaft if the block will fit, and the crankshaft is salvageable, but then the tractor wouldn’t be in service during the rebuild.

View attachment 146811
So i visit the engine from picture. The oil pan, and the crankshaft ist wrong. And on top the engine stand outside is very rusty. So i look to find another on. Thanks for your help guys.

Back