• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Kohler K series short blocks

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Riutzel

IHCC Supporter
Where may I find information on K series short blocks? I have a K 341 that is a short block installed in 1995. I am having a difficult time sourcing piston rings. It has a Mahle piston, but the ring specs are much different from what is available from suppliers.

Greg

Where may I find information on K series short blocks? I have a K 341 that is a short block installed in 1995. I am having a difficult time sourcing piston rings. It has a Mahle piston, but the ring specs are much different from what is available from suppliers.

Greg
Not hard at all if you tell us what tractor it's in. Or the spec# of the engine.

The tractor is a 1650. The engine is a K341 spec number 4552241 with engine s/n 2430505211. On the tag there is a space for the short block part number through which internal components are referenced as stated on the tag That space is blank, not faded or erased with age, but blank.

If you are doing this right you would measure the bore as stated in the Kohler service manual to insure getting parts that fit.

Greg - it appears to me since you have the new style Mahle piston you must use the rings specific to this piston.
It's interesting only 1 ring set is listed, Kohler part no. 45-108-10 (or 10S which is the same), and it's listed as STD (standard) but the spec for it shows 3.780" (which is .030 oversized). So it appears these rings must be used with the Mahle piston in the STD size as well as all the oversizes.

Kendal and David - I'm not disagreeing with you guys, but it sure appears size of the bore isn't gonna matter if there is only 1 ring set used for all sizes.

Throwing a new set of rings on a used "new style" piston is not a successful rebuild. :bash:

Nothing at all wrong with doing that if you prep the cylinder first.
Yea, I'm sure that piston that has been run for 25 years would fit perfectly after the cylinder has been "prepped"

Actually it would, I've done several with no issues.
Unless it needs bored, then its back to square #1
Sadly we have no information on what if any measurements have been taken on this cylinder bore.
Who knows it might already be .040 over?

Unless it needs bored, then its back to square #1
Sadly we have no information on what if any measurements have been taken on this cylinder bore.
Who knows it might already be .040 over?
Ever seen an AQS engine bored .040 over! :roflol: Better yet, have you ever tried to bore one that big!

Latest posts

Back